USB failure MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antoanology, Sep 15, 2012.

1. antoanology macrumors newbie

I'm having several problems with my current unit, 17" MBP Late 2011. Has been there since 1 or 2 months after purchasing till now; Clicking sound when flipping the LCD screen, Down key came off easily (I rarely use the built in keyboard) and the USB problem. I think i've gotten a bad copy but haven't got the window time to bring down to apple for them to take a look at it because of my nature of work.

One of my USB port is down and I suspect that it might be fried by one of my peripherals. I worried that it is a logic board issue and if I have to pay for a replacement, it will be extremely costly as compared to the smaller MBP models. Anyone experienced the same problem? I hope it will be covered by my Applecare after all, I paid over 3.5k for this thing.

2. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

its a mobo issue, it was common in the 2011 models, I have seen a lot of those in the authorized repair center. And here in the forums as well. Just go down to an apple store and let them see whats worng with it

Regarding the display, I dont know, since you are already going to an apple store, let them check it as well.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

On my 3rd logic board (original + 2 replacements) on my 2011 mbp. Just have to take it in and wait for repairs. So far, I have a month of down time for repairs in little over a year. This may be the last mbp I buy.

4. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

wow that sucks.....

5. antoanology thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, guess I just have to bring it down to apple for a check. I hope there's no complications and they can repair it under my applecare warranty.

6. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

unless there is major cosmetic damage they will repair

and sincerely, the 2011 models where a mixed bag, 15'', 17'' and air were the best ones, the 13'' was the worst by far