Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhracer88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2005
I'm not sure if such a product exists...but does anyone know of a USB & Firewire Hub with a card reader built in? I found a really nice hub , but it doesn't have firewire for my external hard drive.

How does USB 2.0 high-speed compare to Firewire 400? I can use both with my external drive, but I always thought firewire was faster. Any enlightnement appreciated.

JM

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
dhracer88 said:
I'm not sure if such a product exists...but does anyone know of a USB & Firewire Hub with a card reader built in? I found a really nice hub , but it doesn't have firewire for my external hard drive.

How does USB 2.0 high-speed compare to Firewire 400? I can use both with my external drive, but I always thought firewire was faster. Any enlightnement appreciated.

JM

I don't know of any hibs that meet your requirements you might be stuck with 2 seperate hubs.

Firewire is faster for sustained transfers (ie Good for hard Drives) and USB tends to be better for things like Mice and keyboards.

dhracer88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2005
I've seen the internal units with card readers, usb ports, and firewire at the front panels of PCs, but still haven't had luck finding an external one. It seems it would be simple to create an external unit, just have two cables coming from it to the computer (USB & firewire), and have the card reader function off of USB 2.0. I'm justing trying to hide the clutter...one whole drawer is currently filled with my current USB hub with cables shoved in, along with power bricks, cords, etc. Even with that, behind my desk looks horrible.

JM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.