USB/Firewire Express Card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NonLinearEdits, Jan 19, 2012.

1. NonLinearEdits macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 era Macbook Pro that I use in a project studio for editing with FCP and Audio Production with Protools 10 and other various software. I recently had one of those cheaper BUS powered Lexington Alphia USB Audio I/O interfaces to power my KRK monitors. It worked fine with exception of a small buzz out of the left channel.

However I upgraded to a Protools MBox Mini 3rd Gen and it was just outputting terribly distorted audio at any level. So after an hour and a half of a remote controlled service call with Avid I set up an RMA to return it.. at my expense to the retailer. I was frustrated that I had to pay to ship back something sent to me that was broken... so I said what the hell and tried it on my 2010 unibody macbook and it worked fine, worked fine on my Toshiba Windows 7 box as well.

I meticously sifted through the Avid Audio forms for hours trying to find an answer... I saw someone that had the same issue and solved it by passing the MBox through a Powered USB Hub... so I said what the hell, I'll try and it viola... it worked. After more research I've come to find out my MBP had an issue with weak/unstable usb power output...

So my question is, do you think I'll have any luck with better bus power coming out of a USB Express card? Does anyone have any recommendations on a good card for my MBP?

2. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

AFAIK no Expresscard provides power, so you will either have to buy that that can be used with an AC adapter. At that point I thin you are better off with the USB hub.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

There's an internal USB port in the Expresscard slot, and most USB expresscards just pass that through to a connector, so there would probably be no difference.