USB + Firewire -> Firewire 800 Hub... Does this exist?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Knolly, Dec 11, 2007.

  1. Knolly macrumors 6502a

    Jul 22, 2007
    A friend of mine told me there was some hub where you can plug in USB and firewire things and then just connect a firewire cable to your mac. This sounds like some sort of mythical beast. Does this actually exist?
  2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030


    Jan 11, 2007
    I didn't google hard enough... (lazy)

    But in the course of 35 seconds, I found an internal with 4 USB 2.0 and 1 FW800 --

    There must be something out there external.

    A few more seconds of searching:

    That appears to be FW400 -- but I'm sure there is an 800 variant - or there will be soon.

    All flavors I found were either USB 2.0 / FW400 externals - which required one free USB 2.0 port and one free FW400 port.

    I found several USB 2.0 / FW800 / FW400 hubs - but all were internal PCI interface.
  3. yippy macrumors 68020


    Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    There are USB+Firewire hubs out there like the one above. However, I am pretty sure that all or at least most all require both a USB and a Firewire connection to the computer.
  4. Knolly thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jul 22, 2007
    That's precisely what a bunch of searching got me. I just wanted to be sure that something awesome like this didn't exist, ha.

Share This Page