Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
A friend of mine told me there was some hub where you can plug in USB and firewire things and then just connect a firewire cable to your mac. This sounds like some sort of mythical beast. Does this actually exist?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
A friend of mine told me there was some hub where you can plug in USB and firewire things and then just connect a firewire cable to your mac. This sounds like some sort of mythical beast. Does this actually exist?

I didn't google hard enough... (lazy)

But in the course of 35 seconds, I found an internal with 4 USB 2.0 and 1 FW800 --

There must be something out there external.

A few more seconds of searching: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/BELKIN/F5U507/

That appears to be FW400 -- but I'm sure there is an 800 variant - or there will be soon.

All flavors I found were either USB 2.0 / FW400 externals - which required one free USB 2.0 port and one free FW400 port.

I found several USB 2.0 / FW800 / FW400 hubs - but all were internal PCI interface.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
There are USB+Firewire hubs out there like the one above. However, I am pretty sure that all or at least most all require both a USB and a Firewire connection to the computer.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
There are USB+Firewire hubs out there like the one above. However, I am pretty sure that all or at least most all require both a USB and a Firewire connection to the computer.

That's precisely what a bunch of searching got me. I just wanted to be sure that something awesome like this didn't exist, ha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.