USB & FireWire PCIe card for a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tallest Skil, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I recently found this: http://www.directron.com/btpeu2fw.html after long, fruitless searches in retail and online stores for a PCIe card that will supply me with extra ports on my future Mac Pro. I'm not asking so much about the reputability of the site (although if you have any experience, feel free to tell me they're scammers), but rather about the compatibility of this with a Mac Pro. Thanks and namaste.

2. headgrenade macrumors newbie

i am in the same boat as you. i would like to add 2 new cards, one with 4 usb & 2 fw400 & then another card with 3 fw800 ports. i am just not sure what to get because everything i find is not labeled pci-e.

however i CAN advise you on directron.com. now there may be some problems with other people & this company so i am just giving you my opinion. i ordered 3 western digital 750gb sata hard drives from them when i purchased my mac pro for really cheap. i think i ordered my dual monitor mount from them too. . .if not it may have been tigerdirect. either way, the drives have done me well & they shipped VERY quickly. i had my drives in less than 4 days from ordering.

3. blauer macrumors newbie

So what did you buy?

So what did you buy and how is it working? I'm having some firewire issues and need a dependable solid firewire card. Any thoughts?
    Thanks Bill

4. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mods, seriously, have you noticed that August newbies bring back old threads more than ANY OTHER month?!

I FORGOT that I made this thread. I was being a little preemptive at the time, as I still don't have a Mac Pro. Heck, I even knew that I was going to wait for Nehalem back then, but didn't have it yet!

I'll bet you that they're a scam. Newegg or NowDirect have incredible prices on computer parts, especially NowDirect.

5. headgrenade macrumors newbie

i forgot i even had an account under this name, created a new name, & have been using it ever since. . .wow. . .

anyways, i will still vouch for directron.com. i still use them quite often & buy more from them than i do tigerdirect or newegg. i promise you they are not a scam. i don't like newegg because of too many lemon products they put out & never get a solid answer on quality or returns.

their harddrives are usually cheaper than most & other optical drives & parts are pretty decently priced. half of what i have purchased has gone in family members computers as well as my own mac pro.

however when their prices to do wow me, i ALWAYS checkout macsales.com or powermax.com. i have ordered harddrive enclosures, ram, hard drives, optical drives, & other parts from macsales (when directron is slightly higher) & i should have stock in them. they do ship overnight & their other shipping prices are amazing. directrons shipping prices were ok & beats someone jacking up the shipping price on ebay, right?

i know i cannot make you feel better about this company thru a forum, i can only speak honestly about my 8-10 experiences with them.