USB/Firewire powered HDD enclosure?

higg0060

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Minne-snow-ta
I want to back up my files at home onto an external hard drive and bring that HDD to work to keep safe, possibly to photo shoots. I have an internal 160GB 3.5" HDD and want to use that. One problem. I don't want to carry arround two cable cords (USB/Firewire and AC adapter).

Anyone know of any manufacturers or reputable sources that make an enclosure for a 3.5" hard drive that is powered off of a USB or Firewire cable?

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
higg0060 said:
I want to back up my files at home onto an external hard drive and bring that HDD to work to keep safe, possibly to photo shoots. I have an internal 160GB 3.5" HDD and want to use that. One problem. I don't want to carry arround two cable cords (USB/Firewire and AC adapter).

Anyone know of any manufacturers or reputable sources that make an enclosure for a 3.5" hard drive that is powered off of a USB or Firewire cable?
nope, they need too much power. You can only get bus powered 2.5in enclosures as far as I know.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Look at the image with the ports:

DC power input. Don't think its really USB powered if it has that...

**EDIT** And also:

Specifications

Interface: USB 2.0 to EIDE.
Application: 3.5' EIDE Hard Drives
Material: Aluminum Alloy.
Cooling Fan: Single Ball Bearing Fan.
Color: Silver
Power Adapter: External
Operation System:
- Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP
- Mac OS 8.6 or higher

higg0060

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Minne-snow-ta
You confirmed what I thought.
With technology today you think someone could make this happen. But I guess I can look forward to owning an Asimo one day.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
higg0060 said:
You confirmed what I thought.
With technology today you think someone could make this happen. But I guess I can look forward to owning an Asimo one day.
usb and firewire just weren't designed to transmit that much power quite simply. there really isn't anything else they could do about it aside from design a whole new connection.

but you can get 2.5" drives up to 160GB, and you can get 7200rpm ones up to 100GB; so you're not losing speed, and size is still pretty good for the 2.5" drives. so there really is no need for bus powered 3.5' drives.