USB/Firewire Surround for 10.5.1 and bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xstorm101, Dec 3, 2007.

1. xstorm101 macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2007
    I would like to ask you guys what good USB or Firewire sound cards do you recommend that have 5.1 surround and that are :
    1) Compatible with Leopard 10.5.1
    2) (not so importat but still) compatible with Bootcamp (windows)

So far what I have come up with but I have little compatibility data about are :
    - M-audio Sonica Theatre 7.1 USB
    - Hercules Muse Pocket LT
    - Zalman RSSC
    - Griffin Firewave (apparently doesn't work on windows)

Many thanks in advance for helping me with this surround dilema !
  2. darthmullet macrumors member

Aug 4, 2006
    I almost bought the griffin wirewave a while back but settled on something else: the Miglia Tech HarmonyAudio . It is firewire, supports 8 channels output (via 4 stereo miniplugs), has headphone output with volume control, as well as two mono inputs (or one stereo input). It works perfectly in Mac OS X and they have drivers for Windows XP (not sure about vista) as well. It is bus powered and has 96 kHz/24 bits sound quality.

Basically it will work with any setup you want up to 8 channels. I use it with my 5.1 speaker system, but it is just as easy to set it up for 7.1.

I think it is a better piece of equipment than any of those you listed. I picked one up from amazon for $65, they are down to $50 now.

I know this reads kind of like an advertisement, but this is just my experience.

(On a side note, I had to contact customer support because the device was causing a strange frequency distortion problem; turns out you just need to change the sample rate in Audio/MIDI settings to match what your audio source is... my point is their customer service is not bad)
  3. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2007
    Why not just use the mini toslink output already built in?
  4. darthmullet macrumors member

Aug 4, 2006
    That is the best solution, considering you have the proper audio hardware.
    I would have loved to but my speaker setup doesn't have digital input.