USB Flash Drive and Microsoft's Sync System

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brn2ski00, Jan 29, 2008.

1. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I recently purchased a 2008 Ford Edge with Microsoft's Sync system -- I know, I know, don't hate.... In any case, the vehicle is capable of playing music through an iPod or any other MP3 player and also a USB Flash Drive. All peripherals plug into the built-in USB port inside the center console. I have tested both my iPod Nano and a 256MB USB Flash Drive and both worked great.

However, I noticed that songs that were purchased from iTunes (AAC Protected Audio files) were not playing via the USB Flash Drive. What gives! I just purchased an 8GB USB Flash Drive (from NewEgg.com) to store the majority of my tunes and to be solely used in my new ride, but if I can't play my .99 cent jams, that would stink!

Has anyone had a similar issue with playing protected files from a USB Flash Drive? Does anyone know a possible work around for this issue? Un-protecting the files?

Thank you in advance!

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I believe the sync uses the audio output of the iPod to play music, which is why it can play protected AAC files off of the ipod- the iPod is decoding it, not MS Sync- where as the USB is giving the sync protected files.

I think. Someone please confirm

3. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

No, you hit the nail on the head. But the issue still stands. I need to be able to play all my iTunes (purchased from the store and not) off of the USB Flash Drive; there has got to be a way...

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Burn the tunes and re-rip them in unprotected format.