USB flash drive gets stuck in port?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bomelon, Sep 27, 2009.

1. bomelon macrumors newbie

Hey, I was just wondering if this is normal for a new thumb drive.

I bought a sandisk cruzer, and realized as soon as I attempted to put it into a port (on my mac, or any other usb port), that it's difficult to get in. My other usbs slide in with ease, and this is the only time I've ever had any problems getting one in (and out). Is this normal for a new drive.. does it just take time? Or is there just something wrong with mine?

Thanks!

EDIT: forgot to mention that it works fine once it's in. I'm just worried if it's damaging any of the ports..?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's probably nothing to worry about; USB connectors seem to require a wide range of force to plug them in depending on the port and device. Not knowing exactly how hard you're needing to push I can't say for certain, but it's probably normal, and may well loosen up after you've used it a few times.

If you're really worried, you could try squeezing the pendrive's connector just a bit to try and reduce its height (assuming that's even where it's sticking). You might also see if the shape of the device is making you push it in at an angle accidentally--I've had that happen all the time.