USB flash drive - OSX and W7 compatability

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bigvb@hotmail.c, Sep 4, 2009.

1. bigvb@hotmail.c macrumors member

I recently bought a Patriot XT 8GB USB drive

I formatted it with Disk Utility for MS Dos Fat 32, and added some .avi files, i then tried to open them in W7 but i get an error message saying i need to format the USB drive as it is not compatible.

2. bigvb@hotmail.c thread starter macrumors member

BUMP - i have also tried formatting it as Fat32 in W&, but for some reason it formatts and then shows up as only having 200mb of space?!?

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

This sounds like a bug because I formatted two of my flash drives (in Disk Utility) to FAT and they've both worked flawlessly in OS X (Leopard and Snow Leopard) and Windows (Vista and 7).

4. wesrk macrumors 6502a

same error for me under Win7 and XP.
    This guy had the same problem, no solution though,
    http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1255516.htm

edit: I kinda posted he same problem in another thread, but will comment it here as well.

I was using my flash drive fine under both Windows and OSX, then in OSX (snow leopard) I formatted it as Fat32, now whenever I try to use it under Win 7 and XP, they both want to format it again and only as a 200 mb partition.

edit 2:
    seems like the answer was easier than I thought, from: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2144181&tstart=1

Malcolm Rayfield

Select the drive in Disk Utility (all the way at the left, not the volume indented beneath it), and click the "Partition" tab. Set "Volume Scheme" to "1 Partition". Click the "Options" button and select "Master Boot Record" and click "OK". Set "Format" to "MS-DOS (FAT)". Set a "Name" and click "Apply".