Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeewhizz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
London, UK
I've got a USB Flash drive that claims to write at 16mb/sec and read at 19mb/sec...

Thing is.. on the mac, it'll only write at maybe 1-2mb/sec.

On a PC it'll chomp through everything at 15-16mb/sec.

Anyone got any ideas why? I'm using a powerbook G4 with 10.4.1 and nada. It maybe down to the power being routed through to the usb port...

If i used a powered USB Hard drive on the port, i get very fast transfers, so I know itsnot the ports... It has to be the USB Stick not getting enough power. Any idea how to remedy this?

Cheers,

Jee

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Jeewhizz said:
I've got a USB Flash drive that claims to write at 16mb/sec and read at 19mb/sec...

Thing is.. on the mac, it'll only write at maybe 1-2mb/sec.

On a PC it'll chomp through everything at 15-16mb/sec.

Anyone got any ideas why? I'm using a powerbook G4 with 10.4.1 and nada. It maybe down to the power being routed through to the usb port...

If i used a powered USB Hard drive on the port, i get very fast transfers, so I know itsnot the ports... It has to be the USB Stick not getting enough power. Any idea how to remedy this?

You told us the size of the PowerBook, not the model. What is the speed. It is probably that you have a USB 1.1 port on your PowerBook. If you know you have USB2.0, then buy a powered USB Hub, that will provide enough power to run devices at full speed.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.