USB Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CaptainCaveMann, Sep 27, 2007.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Can someone recomend a good brand or model USB Flash Drive to go with? I'm looking for something between 2gig and 4gig. Something that works well with the Mac and a sturdy design. Thanks! :D

2. Drile macrumors member

3. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Check out deal ram! It's a pretty cool site to find RAM and such... I am not affiliated with them, I just use them to save big bucks! :D

Check out the prices on the 64GB jump drives. YIKES!!!

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I use the 2 Gb Imation that come with the rubber shell and belt-clip. I run applicaitons from it so it's reading/writing constantly. Been a year now, no problems. I even dropped a weight on it a few months ago, broke it in three pieces (the flash chip and usb input, and each side of the casing). It's taped back together and still works like new.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do stay away from anything like those Sandisk ones that have "special" features like software for installing Windows apps onto the flash drive or carrying a Windows home directory on the drive or what-not. I've heard they are fairly challenging to get "set up".

I personally went with very basic... it's a little no-name 4GB one from some Extreme Performance or something like that, through Circuit City or maybe Best Buy....

6. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I picked up a Sony 2GB Microvault from Microcenter last week for $20. Works like a champ. The platichrome shows fingerprints though. It's the little things in live that get cha...:p

7. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I agree with that! The Sony has some auto compression software that will compress/decompress files on the fly to make the drive hold more data. Uh, no thanks - I don't want my stuff messed up plus I use it between Mac and PC and I'm sure the software is PC only.