USB Flashdrive issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smoneil, Aug 20, 2009.

1. smoneil macrumors newbie

I have an 8 Gig PNY Flashdrive that I have used many times before with my Macbook Pro. Today, I inserted the flashdrive, it blinked, and...nothing. Disk Utility sees it, but it doesn't show up on the desktop and I can't figure out why, or how to access the files on the flashdrive (I'm relatively new to Mac. I just switched over two months ago). Any ideas?

Scott

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Perhaps the flash drive is simply dead, as they do go out eventually.

Try connecting it to another computer, if it works, then we know it could be something about your Mac. Otherwise, maybe it's just time for a new flash drive.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

When using Disk Utilities, what happens when you select the USB Thumbdrive and then press the MOUNT button?

4. smoneil thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tested the flashdrive in my old Toshiba and it still works fine.

When in Disk Utilities, I selected the flashdrive and the Mount button wasn't an option (it was there, but faded and not able to be clicked).

Edit- When I clicked the UDisk beneath the flashdrive, Mount became available. I clicked it and it said that Mount failed.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

PNY used to have security software on their thumb drives.

Does your thumb drive still have this software installed. If so, try shutting down your Mac then boot (Don't restart). This may solve the issue.

Another option that you might try, is to copy your files onto your Toshiba computer. Then use your Toshiba computer to erase and format the thumb drive as FAT32. Copy the files back onto it and see if it works okay on the Mac.

6. smoneil thread starter macrumors newbie

To make the issue even more curious, I plugged in another 8 gig PNY flashdrive (I have two of the exact same model), and it ran in the Macbook without problem.