USB for iPhone to plug in a PC

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by MrMister111, Jun 26, 2013.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I'm after a simple function for my iPhone 5. I want to plug into any PC and copy a file from the PC to my iPhone, then copy that file from my iPhone to a different PC.

Can this be done simply with an app or whatever? I know as such iOS doesn't allow this but there must be a simple workaround or app?

I'm not jailbroken, don't want to be, so do I have to get an app? Which one? I don't want to install something on the PC I'm taking from/copying to. Don't mind paying for an app that works as a simple USB flash drive.

Cheers

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

There are several apps on the store for "File Transfers." Most of them work flawlessly over wi-fi, haven't tried them over USB.

I have used "WiFi Transfer" and "eFile". But there are many, many others.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeh a WiFi one is no good. I have a lightning USB cable so basically want one to act as a USB with the iPhone and cable.

Loads are there but I've bought some a while ago, some had to use WiFi, some had added in app to enable stuff.

Was hoping for a recommendation from someone that knows it works.

Cheers

4. Delta-NC macrumors member

Delta-NC

It's not really possible, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth is the only workable solution. What you can do is load files into apps using iTunes and then do the reverse on the other system, but again it's not ideal. Really, why not just buy a USB flash drive? They cost peanuts and they're tiny.

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeh wanted a solution without using iTunes and ideally without WiFi or Bluetooth as a lot of PCs don't have it.

I agree it is easier with just a dedicated USB drive, I do have them, it's just handy for the times when I need it

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Have you tried searching the iTunes store for "USB Flash Drive" there are a billion of them there. What they don't do is give you access to the application data, but makes the phone act as a USB drive.

There are tons of them, some free, some not. This one is $0.99 seems good.

I'd try the free ones first though.

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Regarding USB,

1, you can NOT act your iPhone as a true flash drive, not even with jailbreaking. (There's a flash drive JB app but it's dreadfully slow and requires a part of the file system to be hard-reserved for its mapped area.)

2, you MUST have iTunes on the desktop you're transferring files from. It doesn't need to be synched to the iPhone, though.

3, non-iTunes-based (you don't need to fire up iTunes to transfer some files to your handset), free desktop solutions are for example the excellent, very versatile iFunBox.

Feel free to ask for more info, I've thoroughly tested all these techniques / have written several articles on them.

8. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

USB for iPhone to plug in a PC

Yes any info you can give and I'd be interested in the articles you've wrote.

I'll have to just use a flash drive if I can't do it the way I want to, ie without iTunes or any other software installed on the PC I'm copying from, although that's a frustration as its only for now and then, and I always have my iPhone and USB lightning cable

9. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

ITunes must be installed. This is iOS and not a more free OS like Android, Symbian, Bada, BB etc.

10. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

So all these apps that are selling on the iTunes Store saying use as a USB flash disk using a cable are not true? It can't be done as I want it, ie not using WiFi or BT?

Cheers

11. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

It can't be done without iTunes installed or without jailbreaking and using the (in no way recommended) JB tool I've spoken of.