Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelvallejo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Madrid, Spain
Hi everyone,

I'm new to MAc.

When using PC, WINDOWS warned about not to disconnect USB/FW connected hardware until you ask the system to do so and the system confirmed it was safe to do so.

However, I've been told that with Mac you can directly connect/disconnect the cables without any previous confirmation from the system.

I'm confused, since I can not find how to get confirmation form the MAc that it is safe to disconnect the USB/FW.

Thanks in advance and sorry for this (I guess) pretty simple question.

Angel

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
You should always eject a drive prior to unplugging. This is essentially the same as Windows' "safely remove" command. You can do this in a number of ways:

• Selecting the drive on your desktop and going to File -> Eject
  • Right-clicking on the drive and doing the same
  • Clicking the little eject button beside the drive in the Finder sidebar
  • Selecting the drive and pressing command+E

They all work in exactly the same way, so whichever works for you. Personally, I prefer command+E.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 72

angelvallejo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Madrid, Spain
Usb Disconnection

Thanks a lot, BlueRevolution.

I'll do so,although I believe that the USB device (LINE 6 TONE PORT UX1) does not appear on the list of devices...)

Thanks again and best regards

Angel

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You eject the harddrives (FYI you should wait a few seconds, after the drive spin down to power off).

Non-storage devices (printer, scanner, etc) don't need software disconnection and thus have no need to show up.

angelvallejo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Madrid, Spain
hi, blue revolution and consultant.

the problem is that, even when the mac is working with a midi keyboard, it does not appear in any place (neither in the list of devices nor in any other place)

Any suggestion?

thanks in advance
angelvallejo
You eject the harddrives (FYI you should wait a few seconds, after the drive spin down to power off).

Non-storage devices (printer, scanner, etc) don't need software disconnection and thus have no need to show up.

angelvallejo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Madrid, Spain
usb disconection

consultant,

I guess a midi keyboard is not a storage device so I understand you suggest I can simply take the usb cable out of the mac directly.

please confirm

thanks again and bst rgrds

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
consultant,

I guess a midi keyboard is not a storage device so I understand you suggest I can simply take the usb cable out of the mac directly.

please confirm

thanks again and bst rgrds

That's correct. Only storage devices like hard drives, flash drives, iPods (with disk use enabled), cameras, file servers, and so forth need to be ejected before being disconnected. This is because it is possible to corrupt files if they are being written to when the drive is unplugged. Other devices like keyboards, mice, MIDI keyboards, headsets, printers, shuttles, and so forth do not need to be ejected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.