Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
So I have a MBP and 1 external hard drive and I'm looking to upgrade to Leopard, use Time Machine, and get some more overall data storage space.

During my hunt for a 1TB+ drive, the prices are getting steep... fast.

My question is... how important is it to get a FW drive? I've been editing video off a USB 2.0 hard drive for close to a year and I haven't had a hiccup yet. FinalCut Express dropped a frame like twice over the course of the year.

After purchasing the new drive, I'll have a total of 3 drives running so it's not like I'll be transferring enormous files over several different drives.

What are all your opinions? I know FW 400/800 both have enormously higher transfer rates, but I don't experience anything that makes me say that my USB 2.0 drive is slow...

thworple

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
Its not that USB 2.0 is slow, but my opinion is that you should choose a Firewire HDD over a USB 2.0 one for video-editing. I've used both sets over the years, and have always gotten more problems from the USB drives than I have from the Firewire ones.

This is especially apparent during capture, and editing to tape. Any finished piece longer than ten minutes would fail halfway through an edit-to-tape on a USB drive, and the same project would be fine with a Firewire version. Part of this was to do with the un-sustained transfer speeds of the USB connection.

Also, depending on your level of video compression, file sizes can end up quite large, and when this happens, the sustained transfer speeds of Firewire will suit you better than any USB device.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
sounds good -

i guess i'll just head for the FW drives.

i'll still be using my old USB drive in conjunction with the new FW one, so what I think I'll do is capture video to the FW one and store finished projects on the USB one.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
what about 7200RPM vs. 5400RPM...

I'm looking into Western Digital's Studio edition ext. drive and it's branded towards video and other creative solutions... and it's surprising that it has a 5400RPM drive.

how much of a difference?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Everyone says that USB2 is fine and fast for bursts of data, but for sustained data rate FW400 is better. if you can go FW800 then all the more so.

7200rpm drive, without doubt.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
well i basically decided on the WD MyBook Studio Edition until I read a review saying it was only 5400. Odd how WD fails to mention that ANYWHERE in the manual or on their site.

Any suggestions for another drive or brand?

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
well i basically decided on the WD MyBook Studio Edition until I read a review saying it was only 5400. Odd how WD fails to mention that ANYWHERE in the manual or on their site.

Any suggestions for another drive or brand?

well it turns out some sites are listing it as 7200RPM... huh

thworple

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
It could be that the larger capacity drives are 5400rpm, while the smaller ones are 7200rpm.

WD MyBook's are pretty good though - got a couple of 500GB Premium Edition ones which are 7200rpm.

You could also look at Lacie drives.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
i have a LaCie drive and never had a problem with it... but reviews are all over the web about how the fail cuz they over heat.

thworple

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
I have to be honest and say that I did have one fail on me for that reason, but on the other hand I've also had one three years, and its never let me down, but yes, thats not an uncommon complaint with Lacie's.

If you're unsure, then go for a MyBook, just make sure its a 7200rpm version.

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
i have a LaCie drive and never had a problem with it... but reviews are all over the web about how the fail cuz they over heat.
Same here. I've used two LaCie drives (1 FW, 1 USB) without a problem. In fact I just bought a third one this morning. However, do stick with a 7200 RPM FW drive for video editing.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
I heard great things about the Western Digital MyBook Pro edition but I really need 1TB. I understand that they make a 1TB version, but reviews say it's REALLY LOUD.

Any comments?

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
out of all of these - which one would you guys choose? (All are 1TB capacity)

WD My Book Pro II
WD My Book Premium II
WD My Book Studio
LaCie Big Disk Extreme+
G-RAID2 (this one's kinda out of my price-range tho)

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
okay well the reviews for the 1 disk My Book Pro's are outstanding... however the reviews are a bit lower for the 2 disk (1TB and up) ones.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
okay well the reviews for the 1 disk My Book Pro's are outstanding... however the reviews are a bit lower for the 2 disk (1TB and up) ones.

2 disk ones are crap because they usually RAID 0 stripe them, so if one of the disks fails you lose all of your data. Plus you have 2 drives in the enclosure, which increases heat, which also increases the chance of failure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.