USB hard drive and new Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dr Kevorkian94, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

So I just upgraded from my 5 year old Airport extreme, and the new one doesn't seem to recognize my 1TB Lacie USB Hard drive that was previously connected to the old one. Im pretty sure Apple now supports USB hard drives on airport extreme, and the drive works when plugged into my Mac so I cant seem to figure out the problem. Any help would be much appreciated. :confused:

Edit: the drive seems to be making a clicking noise when connected to the Airport extreme but not when connected to my Mac......is it lack of power or something?

2. aarone88 macrumors newbie

Format

Make sure it is correctly formatted and it is not corrupt

3. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

It works perfectly when connected to my Mac and all the data is there. Ill put in disc utility to see if anything is up.

4. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

I just verified and repaired the partitions and its says everything is fine. Here is some info on the disc:

Attached Files:

5. ooans macrumors 6502

I've had an external hd emit a clicking sound when not receiving enough power.

Sent from an iphone

6. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

im going to get something to boost the power of the USB on the airport and see if that works and report back

7. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Looks like your Extreme is not providing enough USB bus power. You may also want to try a different cable, or use an AC adapter to provide additional power.

Some cheaper cables may cause a voltage drop.

8. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

I came to the same conclusion, what I ended up doing was using my old airport as a server to extend my network. In doing so, I connected my portable HD to that and it works just fine. Im going to test it out for a couple days and see how it goes if it isn't up to par ill just buy a powered hub. All the other combos of wires and adapters I had tried didn't work.

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

With the high power requirements for iPad, and iPhone >1 amp
    There is NO excuse for Apple not having enough power at a USB port.
    This is about forcing you to a time capsule.

10. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Your probably right. In my case it just pays to buy a powered hub for $25 instead of the extra $100 for a time capsule. My server idea didn't pan out :(

11. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

So I finally received my powered USB hub and connected it to the Airport and my had drive to that. There is one damn problem out of the three partitions on the drive only one shows up.