USB Hard Drive Permissions Problem?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DrTorque, Dec 30, 2011.

1. DrTorque macrumors newbie

Hello,

I wanted to move some files from my notebook to my windows desktop. So I plugged in a friend's external USB Hard drive (Seagate 1 TB, NTFS formatted). And I'm unable to write anything to the disk, the pointer turns into a prohibition symbol when I try to drag and drop files onto the disk. I am running 10.6.8 on a 15" early 2011 macbook pro. I have MacFuse installed. Disk Utility says my write status is Read/Write, but get info says I have only Read permission, and I'm not able to change that. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. Damo01 macrumors regular

Mac OS X can't read and write natively without installing some third party that enable Mac OS X to read and write like NTFS -3G or paragon .

3. DrTorque thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I am aware of that - and I have MacFuse installed. And writing to NTFS volumes is supposed to be one of its capabilities, I reckon.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure you're running the appropriate software for the OS you're running (64-bit vs 32-bit).

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

5. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

On an unrelated note, I saw this and my desire to get it was completely gone:
    Screen shot 2011-12-31 at 3.23.01 AM.png

People still use Comic Sans...?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yeah, I make all my software buying decisions based solely on the fonts used in their advertising! :D

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

MacFuse does not enable NTFS writing, it is a requirement in order to use NTFS-3G. Make sure both are installed.

jW