Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Hello

I know full well that this is a documented issue with OSX, but I am at the end of my tether and don't know which way to proceed.

The background,

I have a Hackintosh (can't afford a Mac Pro :p). I am on my second hardware itteration which runs OSX quite nicely (both Gigabyte motherboards).

I have various external hard drives (USB2) as well. I have
2 x 2 Bay IcyBox External Enclosure (with 2 x 1TB Western Digital Drives in each (4TB total))
2 Western Digital MyBook (1TB each)
1 Seagate 750GB Hard Drive

The IcyBox bays use JMicron chipset controllers, I am not sure what the WD or Seagate chipset is as it doesn't tell me that.

The problem is, the USB drives keep ejecting for no reason. For instance, when I came to my computer this morning, one of the drives that houses time machine backups had ejected, and another drive that I backup using SuperDuper had also become un-writable. I have to reconnect the drives in order to get them working again.

I have read that Jmicron chipsets are very flakey on OSX, can anyone prove or disprove this?

I have been looking around at replacements - ideally I would like a 4 bay USB3 JBOD (I do not use RAID) enclosure that has a chipset that is guarenteed to work be happy with OSX. I am hoping that the Jmicron controllers on the IcyBox external hard drive enclosures is what is causing the problems - does this sound plausible to anyone?

I think replacement wise, I would need at least 3 seperate hard drives.
1 for Time Machine Backups (1TB)
1 for SuperDuper Backups (1TB)
1 for ripped movies (2TB)

But I would really like them to be all in one case, hence why I was searching for a 4Bay USB3 enclosure.

My budget isn't brilliant either. I don't really want to spend more than £250-300.

Anyone who offer any advice at all will be greatly appreciated
THanks

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I can't offer any advice to solve your problem, because I have the same one.

I keep my itunes movies on an external drive that is constantly ejecting itself -- or at least no longer showing up in finder. The biggest problem with this is I think that is the root cause of itunes constantly losing my thumbnails for my movies. That is a pain in the butt, because I have to go through the whole library and hit "cmd-i / enter" repeatedly to reestablish the link to the movies.

If anyone has an idea on how to keep the external drive from ejecting, i would be appreciative. Also, does anyone know if there is another reason itunes keeps losing my thumbnails and is there a way to stop that?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.