USB hardware issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mibes, Dec 14, 2008.

1. mibes macrumors newbie

i've been having problems with USB audio equipment on my macbook (computer freezing, crackling audio, etc) I clearly have some sort of hardware issue within my macbook (this much i am sure of)
    None the less i'm not sure what it is that is not working (the usb ports themselves or another component)

what other parts of my macbook could be causing the problem and how can i test each part concerned in order to find the culprit?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just a thought- before spending too much time trying to find out what might be going on with your particular hardware, it would be wise to eliminate the peripheral equipment as being part of or entirely the problem by trying it on similar hardware. Whether that is via the computer of a friend or via an appointment at a Genius Bar with computer and hardware in hand, either would do.

Your situation just makes me remember one particular system I was working on that showed every symptom of exhibiting a hardware oddity and it drove me nuts- until I switched the peripheral to another machine and the problem followed. :( I would hate to see you go through that!

3. mibes thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, a good point sickmacdoc.
    i have already done a fair amount of testing though, i have tested my usb audio devices and cables on other computers, on which they are completely functional.
    I've also tried multiple versions of OSX 10.5 on my mac (both upgrades and downgrades), none improve the situation.
    I have obviously tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers and repairing disk permission also, to no effect. thus i am relatively sure that it is a hardware problem.