Usb hd and Airport extreme 4th gen?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Frengers, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Frengers macrumors newbie

I am looking for the best and cheapest way to attach a usb drive to my network so I can share files, iTunes library etc between our macs and pc's.

I've seen a few airport extreme 4th gens around for cheap.
    Would it work for what I need? or do you guys have any alternatives?

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That will work just fine for sharing files, but don't try to use that setup as a Time Machine backup as it is not supported. But plain file sharing will work.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

When you say "share iTunes between macs and pcs", do you mean that more than one computer will be using iTunes at the same time? You should not do that; run iTunes on one computer and use home sharing to access the library from the other machines.

4. McRumour macrumors member

As Weaselboy says, if you're aiming to use an Extreme for Time Machine backups - Apple don't support that.
    They only support the newest (6th generation) model.

Furthermore the 4th gen. often fails to work for those trying to use it for TM backups despite that warning....
    Scroll down and read the next to last posting at this link. It cautions against trying to use the gen.4 Extreme with Time Machine and clearly explains the issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22364729#22364729

btw: I'm selling (locally, cash only) a new, never opened 6th gen. at the moment on Craigs List....
    Good luck to you!

5. Frengers thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect, thank you all.

No plans using it for time machine anyways so no worries there. And will definitely look into the iTunes home sharing option.

I do have a follow up question though.

Is it possible to use a usb hub with the 4th gen and use multiple usb drives and printers?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes you can, but people have better results with a powered hub.

7. Frengers thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks a lot!!

8. rkuo macrumors 6502a

The Airport Extreme hosting a USB drive is extremely unstable. I speak from experience. Get a real NAS or sharing solution.

9. Frengers thread starter macrumors newbie

That doesn't sound good, what gen did you have? and did you use it for Time Machine or just regular storage?

Thanks

10. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Time machine usage is stable if done on a Time Capsule or presumably the latest 802.11ac extreme that officially supports USB drives for Time Machine usage.

The NAS is unstable. It was a 2nd generation 802.11n extreme, but I haven't seen any indication that this has gotten better over time. You can see this if you dig through SmallNetBuilder's reviews and it matches my own experience. If you load it heavily or try to do two copies at once it will often just literally stop working. Don't even bother.

Just to be clear, I think the Airport's are the best consumer wi-fi access points due to their stability and overall compatibility. But the NAS stuff is asking too much of them.