USB HD Not Appearing On My MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FragTek, Dec 9, 2007.

1. FragTek macrumors 6502

I have a spare external HD that I planned on using as my Time Machine drive, it was original formatted as NTFS and placed on one of my Win2k3 boxes. I formatted the drive last night and left it unpartitioned. When I plug the drive in to my MacBook nothing happens, and when I open Disk Utility it does not appear. When I start my MB in Vista and plug the drive in, it pops right up and Windows asks me if I'd like to format the drive.

I have futzed with this for hours now and can not for the life of me figure out why OS X is not picking up the drive when attached.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. :apple:

Edit: Also, I used Active Kill Disk to do the format and had it completely zero the drive, took 6 hours to complete, so I don't see what's stopping Leopard from picking up the drive. *smack*

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

What I would try in order to narrow down the possibilities:

1. Partition/format it in Windows (NTFS will do just fine)
    2. Plug it into the MacBook with OS X.
    3a. If it shows up, re-partition and make new file system through Disk Utility.
    3b. If it still won't show, we'll try something else.

3. FragTek thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply, I have done what you have asked. I have partitioned the drive in Vista using NTFS.

I still get nothing when I plug it in on Leopard. Nothing showing up in Disk Utility either. Argh!

Thanks for ur help.

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, it was worth a try.

I assume you're running Leopard 10.5.1, and that the drive is attached through USB?

5. FragTek thread starter macrumors 6502

Your assumptions are correct sir.

Edit: Here's something else that I've just noticed. When I go to restart my MB with the hard drive attached, the computer will not get past the blank grey screen until I unplug the drive, at which point my reFit options come up (OSX/Doze). I have let it sit for approx 15 mins to see if it would ever come up, but it doesn't, it just sits and the activity light on my drive will blink a couple of times every 5 or so seconds. If I unplug the USB cable from the computer while it's stuck on the grey screen, immediately my boot options come up and I am able to proceed normally. Weird?