USB HD not working with MBP HElP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idle0095, Aug 3, 2008.

1. idle0095 macrumors member

every time i connect my usb hard drive i get this error message.

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1s2 at /volumes/USB HD because the following problem occurred

$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0) failed to mount '/dev/disk1s2': Operation not supported. Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action:

Choice 1: if you have windows then disconnect the external devices by clicking on the safely remove heardware icon in windows.

Choice 2: if you dont have windows then you can use the force option for your own responsibility.

Why isnt my usb hard drive not working. it worked on my macbook but wont work on my macbook pro. also works on my girlfriends windows pc. help.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

It sounds like there is a lock file present.

Try reconnecting it to your Girlfriends PC and then shutting down Windows. Then disconnect the drive and try it on your MBP.

3. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

nope didnt work. connected it to her computer then shut it down. still same problem.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There's not physical lock switch on the drive? I know a few drives with switches on them…

5. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

no there isnt. it works fine on my old macbook and my girl friends dell notebook. just wont open up at all on my macbook pro. i dont know what to do because there is data on this hard drive i need.

6. azharc macrumors member

(noob ; don't trust me ; just my 2 cents)

I know it's an error message but is it possible it's not getting enough power? Try another USB port (I think the ones on the right supply more juice?)

7. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

nope dont work either. same thing. why is mac such a pain some times.

8. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Not Mac in general, just your MBP apparently. It almost sounds like you have a formatting issue... But you said it mounted on your Macbook. Do you use any disk utilities that may have locked the drive from other computers? Also, it looks like you haven't formatted it specifically for mac. I always had trouble with NTFS hard drives. I ended up phasing out the NTFS and formatted on mac. The best format to go between the two is to use FAT, as it is fully supported by both Mac and Windows

9. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Is the drive self powered (with an external pwr supply) or bus powered? If it is larger than 160GB (like a 250GB drive) it may need the power supply. The USB on the MBP may not be supplying enough juice to it.

Can you see the device (it won't mount the file system but the device itself may be seen) in Disk Utility? If so you can re-format it.

10. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

i cant reformat it because it has data on it i need. no option there. it will let me see the drive in disk utility. its only a 160 and it dont require any other power besides bus power. i even used both usb for it and still same thing. it did mount on my macbook no problem and even showed the icon on the desktop of my macbook. just wont work for macbook pro. maybe i should just put the data on my girls computer the reformat the usb hd and start over? but thats a pain

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I know this might sound very strange but..... once NTFS-3G decides it doesnt want to run... it simply doesnt. Let me guess.... high CPU consumption... slow boot times... Disk utility shows the NTFS partition/Drive as grayed... unable to mount.....

I strongly recommend uninstalling NTFS-3G and get paragons NTFS for Mac instead.... great hassle free software with brilliant write speeds! (NTFS-3G has slow write speeds and moderately high CPU usage)

12. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

im gonna back the data up on my girlfriends computer then format this using disk utility and hopefully it fixes this mess.

13. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

How much data are you talking about? If it's less than 20GB I would say just burn it to DVDs from a computer that recognizes it, then reformat on your MBP.

14. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

its about 60 gigs.

15. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

ehh, yeah I would probably dump it, reformat, try that and if it works, reload the data back on the drive. You can offload 60gb overnight probably.

16. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

what format should i format it to so it will work on mac and windows? fat? ntfs 3g is a no go.

17. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I know FAT is readable by mac and windows. Not sure of the size restriction though. I can't seem to find any info on a restriction so go ahead and try that.

18. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

FAT32 has a maximum transfer limit of 4GB and a maximum partition capacity (for internal drives) of 32GB!

If you have to share the drive with a PC... go for NTFS and look at this:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

19. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Alright thanks, I thought there was a max partition. Idk if he's looking to spend $40 on something that already works on his macbook though...

OP, I'm out of ideas on this one, sorry I couldn't be more help :eek:
    Good luck though

20. ripplet macrumors member

I've had this problem TWICE already. Due to my donkey of a friend :rolleyes:

Here's the solution:

1. Open up Terminal.
    2. Copy and paste this TWO lines.

sudo mkdir -p /Volumes/C-DRIVE

sudo /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/C-DRIVE -olocale=en_US.UTF-8,force,auto_xattr,defer_auth,defer_permissions,volname="C-DRIVE"

3. After pasting the 1st line and pressing Return/Enter, you'll be promted for your password. This is your Mac's password. Copy and paste 2nd line after a new command line pops up.

4. Enjoy your hard drive again :D

P.S. Original solution taken from NTFS-3G Support Forums.