USB HD won't show up anymore?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cubedweller, Jan 5, 2008.

1. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Hey,

I have a USB HD that I was using for Time Machine on my MBP -- I had it plugged in and my MBP was asleep when I disconnected it -- when my MBP reawoke from sleep I quickly replugged in the USB HD -- about two seconds later the "Unsafe Device Removal" error message (or whatever it is) appeared. I waited a few minutes to see if OS X would recognize my HD but nothing happened. I rebooted and it still won't appear. Nothing in Disk Utillity either. I rebooted into XP (I'm bootcamped) and it loaded the drive fine. Anyone have any solutions? Force it to reset the USB HUB ... or anything?

Thanks,
    ~Eric

2. dazed macrumors 6502a

Are you using a hub ? I found i couldn't use my USB HD when it was plugged into my hub (although it was a cheap one, im not sure why it wouldnt work since it worked on my XP box for many years without a problem).

In the end I plugged it straight into the mac and all was well again.

3. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Also don't forget to check the system.log file (via Console.app if you want) to see if there are any messages related to the mis-connection of the USB drive. Additionally, you can open a Terminal and navigate over to /Volumes and see if the drive is actually mounting properly and the error is in Finder.