USB headphones, help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aidenzralka, Jul 15, 2013.

1. aidenzralka macrumors newbie

Hi all

About six months ago I got the end of my headphone stuck inside my headphone port on my macbook. (13" late 2008 unibody, Mountain lion)

I havent had any sound since and I have spent countless hours researching and trying to get the stuck jack out using paperclips, matchsticks etc. But it is well and truly stuck.

From reading through many forums I have also come to conclusion that there isnt any way to switch off the the headphone port so the audio comes out of the external speakers only.

So I resorted to using airfoil which aloud me to stream audio from my macbook to my iphone (with a slight delay) which helped.

My problem is now that I have lost my iphone so I have no way to play sound. So now Im gonna try go down the USB route which I heard may work, but Im struggling a bit.

I have a USB to 3.5mm male adapter, which is then plugged in to a double end female 3.5mm adapter, with the other end of this adapter going into a standard pair of apple earphones. Trouble is when I go to my sound preferences the usb headphones arent showing up. What am I doing wrong ?????

Thanks

Aiden

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I just tried this and it worked for me. I think your problem is the USB to male adapter. I have a Logitech USB dongle that has both a mic and headphone inputs. I plugged in the dongle and and a headphone into my MacBook Pro and I was able to switch back and forth between the two.

This is what I have,

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373895608.852756.jpg

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Have you tried opening up the MacBook to see if the plug can be pushed out from the inside?

4. EricT43 macrumors regular

Also, Option-click the volume icon on the menu bar, that will allow you to change to the speakers even if you have headphones plugged in.

5. aidenzralka thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info got one and im all good now :)

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Awesome!!! Glad it worked out:)