USB hub and Apple Superdrive??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jakfrost, Jul 3, 2008.

1. jakfrost macrumors member

I had to buy the Apple Superdrive in order to install Windows XP in my VMWare app on the Air, since the disc drive on the iMac wasn't allowing the installation on the Air. To big a file I guess, whatever...

OK so bought the Superdrive and installed XP, and the 100.00 wasn't the end of the world, but I was surprised to find I couldn't use the Superdrive when it is plugged into the self powered Dynex USB Hub I use with the air. I have to plug it directly into the air in order to use it...is this normal? Anyone else using the Superdrive plugged into a hub?

To bad Apple doesn't make a hub that would work for their peripherals...

Jim

2. PLin macrumors 6502

The MacBook Air Superdrive won't work when connected through a hub, even if it's a powered hub. In fact, it won't even work with any other Macs.

You should only need the Superdrive if you need to install Windows on a Boot Camp partition. If you want to install Windows in VMWare, you can always make an image of the Windows disc on your iMac using Disk Utility, copy it over the network to your MacBook Air, and then have VMWare install it from the image.

3. glitch44 macrumors 65816

unless you mod it.

4. PLin macrumors 6502

That's not a mod that an average user can or will be willing to perform, and a few people have mentioned in the comments on that site that the drive will no longer work with iDVD.

It's probably easier to buy a slim DVD drive and install it in case like this:

http://www.meritline.com/usb-firewi...l-slim-drive-enclosure-laptop-dvd-cd-r-w.html

That one has USB and Firewire, but there's a USB-only version too. However, I'm not sure if a drive like that will work with iDVD either.

5. Grizzly Adams macrumors member

I got the Superdrive when I bought my MBA, just because I would rather have it and not need it instead of needing it and not having it. I rarely use my superdrive other than to burn some discs on occasion and to watch a movie if I don't feel like getting out of bed. I have never had it plugged in long enough to need to add any other peripheral while using, negating a need for a hub. In fact, I rarely use my USB port at all

6. jakfrost thread starter macrumors member

Well I have it now and will certainly keep it...as long as I have the Air anyway. I don't anticipate a constant need for it or even a casual need but its still handy to have. It would be nice to be able to use my favorite 'Nano' USB mouse AND the Superdrive at the same time though.

I bought 2 different bluetooth mice and was dissatisfied with both, the USB nano is super smooth and very 'slick' in comparison. And the USB dongle is perfect for the Air, it is really tiny, like 1/4" tiny.

Anyway, thanks for all the info, as usual I learn something everytime I'm on the board!

Jim