usb hub, for furniture.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dotty, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Dotty macrumors member

Hay all, ive got a carpeter to make me a new desk, now i could easy go out and get one, but they seem to add cupboards and **** which i dont need.

Anyway this is a custom built desk and im incorporating a few features i want, the first was a mouse mat which is pretty much 'built in'.

Now the point of this thread is, does anyone know where i can get a USB hub, with screw holes so it can be installed INTO the desk? Heres a picutre of what i want.

Any links?

Attached Files:

• usb.JPG
      usb.JPG
      File size:
      14.3 KB
      Views:
  2. millap macrumors regular

3. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Here is what I did with my Hubs

[​IMG]

I have added a 3rd since this picture.

This is the Hub and I was pretty simple to do. The casing and the circuit board are completely separate and easily come apart once removing the screws + black plastic. Just a warning if you go this way, make sure the holes are positioned so that the screw heads still allow the board to slide back in.

4. jvencius macrumors regular

A slightly simpler solution might be to attach the hubs to your desk with heavy-duty automotive trim double-sided tape from 3M that you can buy at any auto parts store. The stuff I'm thinking of is hellacious strong, is sort-of foamy, and has a red backer strip. That method wouldn't involve disassembling the hub or drilling holes into your furniture, although the adhesive in that tape is rather tenacious and might damage the furniture's finish.

5. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

6. Dotty thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the links. I guess what im going to do is basically dissemble a usb hub, cut a whole in my desk, get a small sheet of 1 layer ply and use that to cover the insides of the usb hub,

Thanks all.