USB Hub for rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by me43, Jul 27, 2013.

1. me43 macrumors member

Has anyone tried out the Siig USB 3.0 & 2.0 hub with ethernet port. It seems to fit my needs (adds usb ports & ethernet for rMBP) and can be purchased relatively cheap($50). I plan to use it mostly on my desk and I'll just use the built in ports when the computer is not being used there.

The thing that is worrying me is the lack of reviews, I can't seem to find any. Also I am wonder how the ethernet port works I have heard they sometimes have issues connecting after sleep.

If anyone has knows of any alternatives with usb 3.0 ports and an ethernet hook up that would be great too.

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

I use a toshiba one but it likely uses a similar chip to the siig one. They all use chips from displaylink. mine has USB 3.0, USB 2.0, ethernet, hdmi and dvi. I never have any trouble with the ethernet although I also never let my computer sleep when it is at my desk because when it does my office software that I run in parallels messes up so I can't really comment.

3. sarthak, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

sarthak macrumors 6502

I purchased a generic 7 Port USB 3.0 HUB from eBay, haven't received it yet. It looks better than Pluggable or Orico plastic ones, will post back how well it functions.

4. KevinC867, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Since you will be using this at your desk, I would recommend the 7-port USB 3.0 hub that I am using: www.amazon.com/Plugable-Power-Adapter-VL812-Chipset/dp/B008ZGKWQI/. The same company also makes a USB 3.0 to gigabit ethernet adapter: www.amazon.com/Plugable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Adapter/dp/B00AQM8586/. Plugable is a reliable company and both products are highly rated on Amazon. You can get both products for $55. I'm currently using the hub and ethernet adapter combo and I don't have any problems. Everything wakes from sleep just fine.

If you wanted something small for travel, I would give this a try: www.amazon.com/Encore-ENUET-3USB-3-Port-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B0036FZJX4/

I see that Siig product on Amazon (www.amazon.com/SIIG-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-JU-H70311-S1/dp/B00AVB27WW/). However, it is expensive, and as you say, it has no reviews.

5. me43 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am now leaning towards this option as it will give me additional usb 3.0 ports and it is about the same price as the alternative.