USB Hub on an Airport Express/Extreme

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CunningWard, Jun 20, 2008.

1. CunningWard macrumors member

CunningWard

I'm leaving for college this fall, and want to share my peripherals wirelessly with my PC desktop and my MBP. The periphials would be a USB TV Tuner, an external HD, a printer and anything else an EE/CpE would need in college:cool:. Is it possible to do this with a USB Hub and an Airport Express/Extreme?

-Cheers Comrades

2. camhabib macrumors regular

You cannot attack a hub to an express, and even though you can attach a hub to an extreme, you can only attach printers and hard drives. Waste of money tho, as 99.99% of colleges prohibit the use of personal networking devises (aka routers, switches, etc).

3. CunningWard thread starter macrumors member

CunningWard

I'm going to Iowa State, and they allow it. They actually encourage it since there is no wireless in the dorms...yet. So yeah, just HD's and printers??

4. camhabib macrumors regular

As far as I know, no one has been able, as of yet, to connect anything besides a printer or hard drive to one of the USB ports. Having a non-CPU device, such as a router, able to handle a device like a TV tuner, and then stream that data over a wireless network is a very complicated task and impossible for the current AirPort extreme.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can attach hard drives and printers to an Airport Extreme, and printers only to a Airport Express.