Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danmc00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
I just bought a 27" iMac last weekend. I am new to the Mac world. Lifelong PC user. I am just looking for some pointers.
I love this computer, but the USB ports are a hassle to get to. I am always loading pics to my computer from the USB port and I hate having to move the monitor every time to do it.
Couple of questions:
How many USB hubs can I run?
I am trying to hook up Magic Jack phone and HP printer on one and have another mounted in the front of my desk for downloading pictures and files easily.
Is there any certain brand to look for? Does it need to be powered?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Seriously? :eek:
The USB rule on the Mac is the same as for the PC.

You can have as many USB ports as you have mains outlets, assuming you buy powered USB hub. Though like on the PC, USB has a maximum cable length, if the furthest port is more than 12 feet away, the signal might become weak.... If you need loads of ports, Belkin does some really flexible units.

I have one of those... :)

Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-Port Hub
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=196201

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
You could always buy the Apple wired keyboard - that has a USB port built into the each side, making it easy to plug in Flash drives, etc. (as long as they're thin), plus you get a "bonus" numerical keypad.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
i just leave the cable for my camera plugged in

these are coming from your camera, correct?

what kind of card is in your camera? SD?

and as others have stated, as many USB ports as you want, just get a hub.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I bought one of these and slid it under my Airport Extreme... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817394017

Get a long cable to the back of the iMac. You can also connect one of these to the Airport itself and have shared USB ports like a printer or external HDD (formatted for HFS of course).

...that looks nice, but it a bit pricey just to have a nice look especially if you haven't needed to use the external power supply with it yet...

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
Thats why I went with that belkin hub, it doesnt even look like it should be connected to the iMac. Its on the other side of the desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.