usb hub slowing iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zuma022, Jun 26, 2008.

1. zuma022 macrumors regular

I recently bought a Belkin USB hub (self-powered) and have used it to plug in the iPod connection cable, digital camera cable and the keyboard. On the other two USB I have an external harddisk and a wireless Logitech mouse.

Whenever I booted the iMac it would start up just fine and then after 10 or so minutes become extremly sluggish, the mouse jumping constantly to the corner, not being able to click, the dock wouldn't animate, etc. It took me a while, but eventually I noticed that as soon as I disconnected the hub it worked just fine.

But I'm wondering, is it likely a faulty USB hub? Or is it normal to slow down my system so much?
    I'm a switcher and my PC had 8 or so slots, so I figured a hub would be a good solution.

2. zuma022 thread starter macrumors regular

3. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

I'm not sure but what i suggest is to try another hub of a different brand. i'm using a 4 port hub for my slower stuff (printer, ups, signal converter) and it works just fine with my system. I've never seen this issue before though. My hub is a "Micro 4-Port USB Hub" is what it's called. maybe you should try it.

4. zuma022 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. I'll look into that one.
    I guess I'm mostly concerned if maybe the USB hub is faulty and should be returned or if it's just plain not compatible with an iMac.

5. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Pretty sure it's the USB hub

I, too, have a Belkin USB hub. I noticed that copying files to my USB external drive via the USB hub would take way longer than copying files to the same USB external drive when the drive is directly connected to my MacBook. I have not tried another USB hub, but the difference in time was impressive.