USB hub suddenly failing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Verdanice, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Verdanice macrumors regular

Hey,

I've found a few threads online regarding Leopard's issue with USB hubs, and I'd like to eliminate any other possible causes of the symptoms I'm experiencing with mine.

At home I use a D-Link 7-port powered USB hub. Connected to that are my printer, iPod dock, and a couple external hard drives. This lets me plug in the hub when I get home with my Macbook Pro and have these devices available instantly. This has been my setup for about 18 months now, most of that time while running Leopard. I've never had an issue.

A couple days ago I turned one of the external HDDs on. It did not mount on the Mac. I unplugged and re-plugged that as well as my iPod with no luck. I ignored the problem and I believe it was back to normal the next day, but since a couple days ago the MBP has been completely unable to see anything on the hub. I know devices are receiving power as when I plug in my iPod it will charge.

If anybody has experienced something similar and has any troubleshooting steps to try out, I would appreciate your input. I have restarted, cleared the PRAM, and logged in in a different user account.

Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do the drives mount if you plug it in directly to your computer?

3. Verdanice thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, every one of the devices work fine on their own.