USB Hub Suggestion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vermonter16, Dec 17, 2008.

1. vermonter16 macrumors regular

I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a USB hub or can help me out. I have a lot of USB stuff and I have an iMac....well, all the ports are behind it and it will be a pain in the a** to plug in and out all the time. Thoughts? Will any USB Hub work?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

id reccomend a powered usb 2.0 hub vs unpowered or non usb 2.0

all the rest should be fine

3. gjw4u macrumors 6502

I agree with paul, get a USB 2.0 Hub with a additional powersupply. Get one that looks nice from a known manufacturer.

4. cube macrumors G4

I had 2 powered USB hubs die on me in different environments. One from a suppossedly quality brand. The other, by a known value brand died in about a week.

Also, I only know one hub which is advertised as having separate transaction translators for each port. I don't know how to find another model with this feature. Separate transaction translators give you full USB 1.1 bandwidth on each port, it doesn't split that small bandwith among all ports operating at 1.1

5. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

6. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

My 2c worth - brand names which I'm using and having no problems with are Cyberpower and Targus.

Belkin gets a mention regularly. Syncrotech make a 13-port hub. LaCie make a wicked futuristic multi-purpose hub called a Huby, but it's bus-powered. Good prices and an extensive range to be had from http:www.superwarehouse.com. Happy shopping!

7. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Great to know! I'm going to check out your link first thing tomorrow. Thank you!

8. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

I have this dlink.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111402

It has been in operation for about 6 months now, plugged up to my time capsule with 2 printers, and 3 external hard drives. Im getting ready to plug in 2 more hard drives this next week, and will fill it out.

So far its been an excellent product!

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Well, I'm not sure it could be made for much less than $60. It's really quite solid - it weighs, I dunno, maybe 10 lbs or so. Add in the powered hub (about $20 or so right there), anyway I didn't feel at all ripped off by it.

12. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow - that is pretty cool looking and would be almost perfect. You really like it and it is very sturdy like you say...you don't feel like your imac is going to get jostled and fall off or anything?

13. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

you really should use a powered hub if you are charging things but if you are not than any other hub should be fine

14. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It seems like it since it's been around for a while now. It's a sweet hub, and I guess the price is justifiable.

16. jonjamesm macrumors regular

jonjamesm

17. joelw135 macrumors 6502

joelw135

I have two Cables To Go 7 port powered hubs and they are the best. I had D-Link that always lost my hard drives when powering up. I had to play with unplugging to mount the two disks. Now all my USB devices are ready to go on boot. These hubs have an all Aluminum build and come with mounting plates and power supplies. I also daisy chained the two to save a port on my iMac.

18. cube macrumors G4

Well, I haven't tried it, but I think the value hub didn't die, as it happened to me again with one that has been working well for quite a long time, and then I found out it could be a PRAM problem. I zapped it, and everything was OK. I think this might also have to do with the difficulty in mounting FireWire stuff in the last few days.

I never changed my PRAM battery. It's 8 years old. I guess it's time now.

19. rogershields macrumors newbie

Cyberpower CPH720P not working

I just got a CPH720P from Cyberpower to expand my iMac USB, but it does NOT work for external drives. It works for my scanner and printer, but my WD Passport and Lacie drives do not show up when I connect them, either in Finder or in /Volumes in Terminal. Anyone know why this should happen? It looks like it's just not powered enough?? The drives work fine when plugged directly into the iMac - just not enough USB ports for me to do that all the time.

20. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I have to ask these:
    1. is the hub being powered from mains or from your iMac? The blurb on that model of hub states "The CPH720P can be powered via your PC/laptop, or via the AC power adapter [included]."
    2. are you getting a USB "insufficient power" warning? Try using Disk Utility to locate your external drives rather than Finder or Terminal.
    3. how are your two external drives powered?

21. rogershields macrumors newbie

The hub is mains powered
    No insufficient power warning. Disk Utility does not show the drives either. However, System Profiler DOES show the drive
    The external drives are USB powered - that's why I got the powered hub