USB Hub suggestions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bearbo, May 19, 2007.

1. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

The last USB hub I had was a externally powered D-Link 7 port. However when I try to plug in a bus powered harddrive in there, the harddrive wont work.

Now I'm in need of another USB hub for my macbook pro. It can be 4 or 7 port. Preferably good looking one to match, somewhat, with the MBP. Big plus if it has some other cool features.

I liked the Belkin usb/firewire hub for mac mini. Does someone have it and has any opinion about the compatibility of that? Since that's bus powered only, does that become a problem sometimes?

Is there any other suggestion?
    Thanks!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I bought this IOGEAR 4-Port USB 2.0 and 3-Port FireWire Combo Hub and I use it with my portable USB external hard drive which requires power from the port and it works fine. I also have other FireWire and USB devices plugged in and they all work fine. I really like it.

3. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

Lots of the reviews from newegg.com claims that the firewire ports for this often fail. How does your experience with that seem?

Is this hub bus powered or external powered?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

All the Firewire ports on mine are fine, I just tested all of them and everything was ok. The hub is externally powered through an AC adapter. I've had the hub for two months.

5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

If you're going to get a usb hub, check out the D-Link 7 port one on Newegg for $20 shipped. By FAR the best reviewed hub, well over 100 reviews, 5/5 egg rating, comes with 7 ports at a good price. That's the one I bought yesterday actually :)

I see that you bought it originally, but I really don't think the problem is with the hub, but your hard drive itself. Might want to test it out.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

7. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

No way. USB powered hubs are horrid. Total lack of power, only thing those can power simultaneously are like printers and maybe a camera. If you're going to hook up anything that needs decent power (external HD, etc.) DO NOT get a usb powered hub.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

true... I only hook up my printer and USB drive to it so for that its great...sry i couldn't be more help

9. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

See... That's the thing. The harddrive works fine if I plug it directly into my MacBook Pro. However it just goes tick-tick-tick-tick... if I plug it into the hub. Everything else works with the hub. My keyboard/mouse, iPod, printers and etc. Just that harddrive. I didn't try another one, maybe I should.

10. munckee macrumors 65816

I've heard of a couple of reports similar to the OP's in relation to the D-Link hub.

11. cube macrumors G4

It's very hard to tell which USB 2.0 hubs have independent transaction translators, except for the Belkin TetraHub which is advertised as such.

12. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Anyone have experience with $29.99 BELKIN Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub for Mac mini Model F5U507 - Retail http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16833314028

or TRENDnet TFU-430 7-Port USB2.0/FireWire Combo Hub - Retail http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817111469

It is looking like the belkin has no power supply so I may not use that. Although if I ever use an external HD I'll probably be putting it straight into the computer. I may not even need a hub if the newer iMacs will have enough USB ports. Right now they have 5 so I probably won't need one.

13. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

There is a really good digital hub with audio in/out puts, display connections both DVI and VGA, USB, Firewire...

Now, if you can afford it great if you can't it's a shame 'cos it's a good hub but it has a large price tag: MacBook Pro

14. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I recommend the USB hubs by Dr.Bott (T3 or T7).
    They look good and they are quality pure. I'm not sure how much you have to pay for those in the US but in the EU you get the smaller T3 hub for 14€ and the T7 (7port USB hub with power supply) for about 26€.

byakuya

15. kikobarbada macrumors regular

I'd use any USB 2.0 with power-ports so you can connect iPods and HDs and charge'em faster.

16. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

Hi,
    I just reviewed a nice usb hub made by belkin. 4-ports, top loading, white and goes perfectly with the white Macbooks, mac minis and iMacs. If you're interested click here.

Hope it helps you choose a nice hub.
    byakuya

ps: a review of the dr bott t7 usb hub (7 ports) will come soon so watch out!

17. neven macrumors 6502a

How about the
    Kensington DomeHub?

That sort of matches the MBP, and the dome design isn't just a gimmick - it helps when plugging in fat cables. It has good reliability ratings too.

18. kinesin macrumors regular

I've got one of these and it's awesome. Powers my WD passport and has enough weight not to move around on the desk.