Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I am looking for a new USB Hub and just wondering what people suggest. Here is a checklist for what I am looking for:

• Powered
  • need 7 - 10 ports (either 1 hub or daisy chain)
  • Small form factor
  • Wall/desk mountable is a +

Thanks in advance.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I am also interested in this. I need everything the OP does, plus something heavy would be nice, as it wouldn't move around on my desk.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
I had my eye on this one too. Amazon has it a little cheaper btw.

I just checked it and they go for about the same (new). NewEgg would be cheaper but Amazon gives you free shipping on the item. Just FYI.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I just checked it and they go for about the same (new). NewEgg would be cheaper but Amazon gives you free shipping on the item. Just FYI.

Well, its like a dollar or two cheaper on amazon (after shipping costs of both sites), plus, if you want to, you can send in the ten dollar rebate. But yes, I do agree the difference is negligable.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I decided to open up the USB hubs that I just bought to see if there was any way that I could mount them.

After getting them open I saw that it would be possible and would be quite easy.

I was lazy and did not take step by step pictures (although I wish I had) but here is the final result.

IMGP0614.jpg

All I need now is some Goo Gone and some cable clips and all should be good.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Nice job, I move around between home and school too much to permanently mount anything, I think I am just going to get the D-Link hub mentioned above, unless anyone has had any problems with is, or has a better suggestion...

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Nice job, I move around between home and school too much to permanently mount anything, I think I am just going to get the D-Link hub mentioned above, unless anyone has had any problems with is, or has a better suggestion...

If there was some more room I could have done key holes so they would be able to come off, but most of my stuff is used at home exclusively, so a permanent mount is a-ok.

The d-link does look pretty good too.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Hi,
I just reviewed a nice usb hub made by belkin. 4-ports, top loading, white and goes perfectly with the white Macbooks, mac minis and iMacs. If you're interested click here.

Hope it helps you choose a nice hub.

byakuya

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Hi,
I just reviewed a nice usb hub made by belkin. 4-ports, top loading, white and goes perfectly with the white Macbooks, mac minis and iMacs. If you're interested click here.

byakuya

I saw this at best buy. It is too expensive for a 4 port hub IMO. Thanks for the tip though!

Edit: I like your blog, by the way.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Hi,

byakuya

I HAVE THAT ONE TOO!!!

spooooky

But it is a little bulky and doesn't weigh much so stiff USB cords kinda make it 'float'. There is also no way of getting it open without cracking the case to mount it.

Other than those things it is perfect. That is why its getting hooked up to my Airport Extreme.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I saw this at best buy. It is too expensive for a 4 port hub IMO. Thanks for the tip though!

Edit: I like your blog, by the way.

Thanky you! I'll try my best to keep the blog interesting.

byakuya

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I'll just received my Dr.Bott T7 (7 port USB hub) and this one is soooo slick. It looks good and it seems very promising. After extensive use I will post a review.

byakuya

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.