USB hub that can charge iPhone 3GS without computer attached?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bill67679, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Bill67679 macrumors newbie

I'm currently charging my iPhone 3GS with the provided 5V/1A USB power adapter, but I would really like to be able to charge my iPhone 24/7 when connected to my Macbook so I don't have to switch back and forth between the computer if I want to sync the iPhone and the USB power adapter if I want to charge the iPhone when the Macbook is sleeping (i.e. during the nights).

The only problem with this configuration is, that when I put the Macbook to sleep, the iPhone stops charging.

So, does anybody know if there is a USB hub available that can charge the iPhone when the Macbook is sleeping (and preferably provide 1A current)?

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Interesting idea about a powered USB hub as I see where this would benefit in situations where the machine is asleep but you still want to charge your devices.

One thing I do want to ask though is what model Macbook do you have? I have a newer Macbook Pro and it charge my iPhone while it is asleep.

I was traveling back from WV and needed to charge my iPhone in the car but forgot my car charger. I plugged in my phone to my laptop while it was in sleep mode, no dice. I opened the lid, saw the charging screen on my iPhone and closed my lid again. The machine went back to sleep but the iPhone kept charging. :)

3. Bill67679 thread starter macrumors newbie

Late 2007, 2.2GHz. I'm running the Snow Leopard with all the latest updates.

I just tested that and it's not working. The charging stops when the Macbook goes to sleep. :(

4. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Sorry to bring back an old thread... but did you ever find a solution to this?

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Looks like I never responded, but it's probably related to the older model laptop. My mid-2009 MBP is able to charge while the machine is sleeping.

6. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

I have an older, but very nice, Linksys powered hub. I just tried unplugging the connection to the computer and the iPhone stopped charging. So it seams that it won't work - at least with this powered hub.

7. yac macrumors newbie

After reading a few of these posts, im puzzled. I thought i'd weigh in with my experiences. My iPhone 3G and by iTouch 2G both fail to charge while my mac mini(PPC 1.5) is asleep.

But on my Mid-2007 2.16 Macbook they both charge fine while asleep(connected directly to the computer, either port works)

Which strikes me as slightly odd seeing as the poster in this thread seems to have a newer Macbook than me, and is not able to charge while asleep.

Puzzling.