USB Hub - Time Capsule - WD Passport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by reds99, Feb 8, 2014.

1. reds99 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I purchased a 2TB WD Passport hard drive intending to connect it to my Time Capsule and use it as a networked drive, using a new model Macbook Retina 13".

I have since leant that the internal USB port on my TC doesn't have sufficient power to do this so purchased a DLink USB Powered hub (DUB 1340 - USB 3.0 4 port).

I was expecting to see the WD Passport drive appear as an option in the finder under shared devices, but it doesn't appear to be there at all (although the TC is).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Over my years of owning Time Capsule I have realized the USB2 port on it is not powered. So use a powered 4 port USB2 hub to connect to it. It will not take more than four ports and all the devices on that hub must have their own power.

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Did you format the drive first by connecting it to your Mac and formatting it in Disk Utility to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

Does the drive appear in the Disks tab in the Aiport Utility settings for your Time Capsule?

4. reds99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input guys,

Yes, I formatted the disk Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and have double checked this. (I did download the WD Drive Utilities but have since deleted this by reformatting the disk).

Only the Time Capsule backup disk shows in the disk tabs of my Airport Utility.

Are there any specific set up configurations I need to follow in the Airport Utility?

Satcomer - my WD Passport does not have its own (external) power source, will this be a showstopper for me using it remotely on the network?

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

To explain what I said before your bus powered drive connected is not really suited for networked stuff.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^

This, but as a stop gap you'd need a couple of things and frankly I doubt it's worth the spend...I had a free CIT demo USB powered enclosure and I put my 2TB WD in that. This in turn is connected to a ten port top of the range Satchi powered hub...the hub delivers 5A....more than most and I think the Dlink runs at around 2-3. Using it that way I did get it to work, but as satcomer says, it's not really suited to sitting in a network situation...Other solutions aren't cheap...I have a Pegasus R4 but you can get cheaper units which will work the way you want them to.

7. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

For the Satachi, which also has charging ports for iPhone and iPad, and three switchable banks, it's worth a look:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Satechi-10-...id=1392108890&sr=8-1&keywords=satechi+usb+hub

They also supply very powerful adhesive strips to mount the hub as you wish....I thought they'd be easily removable so stuck the hub to my desk in front of my iMac, intending to wall mount it later....once it's stuck down it won't move, no matter how often you plug stuff in, but it's the best hub I've ever had, and not too expensive for one which carries a hefty top quality PSU:)