USB hub to use with iPhone?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jblodgett, Dec 18, 2007.

1. jblodgett macrumors regular

I recently purchased a MacBook, and I would like to get a USB hub which I can use with the computer when I am using it as a "desktop" with an external monitor and so forth.

I have quite a few things I'll need to attach to it -- a keyboard, a mouse, digital camera -- and my iPhone.

Does anyone have a USB hub that they would recommend for use with an iPhone?

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111402

The most affordable and highest-rated 7-port USB hub you can get. I have one of them for all my USB needs at home. I've had supposedly better USB hubs (like the Belkin one that blends in with Macs, sort of) that cost a lot more but wind up cutting out all the time. That D-Link has been rock-solid, has tons of ports, is powered (a must for charging iPods/iPhones and attaching hard drives), and is really affordable.

3. vaithia macrumors newbie

What about Wireless USB Hubs?

I tried using the IOGEAR GUWH204Kit Wireless USB Hub (How cool would things be if I can sync my Iphone wirelessly after plugging it into a cradle that charges it in the mean time!!!!) to try connecting the iphone wirelessly. All I got was a stupid error in ITunes saying that there was some problem connecting to the device (To add to the wounds, it said, Unknown Error). I hastily returned the product before my return date expired [It did not work with my logitech webcam either, although the promise was that it could work with Mobile Devices and Webcams. No product can suck more!]

Is there any Wireless USB product mature enough to handle an iphone wirelessly and at the same time, charge it for use the next day?

4. mudskip macrumors newbie

correct power adapter for hub?

I was having this problem.

I just discovered the power adapter i was using for my USB hub was not the right one.
    Keyboard / iPhone / iPad would work intermittently while attached to the hub.
    After i heard an electrical pop and smelled something burning, i decided to investigate.
    The power adapter was really hot.. almost too hot to touch.

When i connected the correct power adapter, thankfully it worked!

If you want to check and see if you are using the right adapter, compare the volt and amp rating on the sticker on the hub and adapter.
    Also make sure that the pin polarity is the same.
    Pin polarity may or may not be listed on the same sticker with a little diagram.
    It may have a positive or negative symbol pointing to the center, and the opposite symbol pointing to the shield. Just make sure they match.