USB Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spin360, Aug 17, 2013.

1. spin360 macrumors member

Since our MBAs only come with two USB 3.0 ports, what are you all using to connect your multitude of gadgets? I need to connect the following:

- mouse
    - printer
    - keyboard
    - external HD
    - phone
    - tablet

I'm thinking I would need a powered hub to handle all of these, but many of the items I'm looking at on Amazon are saying this:

PLEASE NOTE
    * This hub is not designed to serve as a standalone charger and will not charge an iPad tablet or any other device with non-standard charge requirements.
    * Some USB 3.0 devices require a direct connection to host USB 3.0 ports, including some USB 3.0 hard disks and SuperDrive.

So what do you guys use?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

My guess is all the warnings is so that u don't exceed the power capability of the hub then complaint to the vendor they didn't tell u.

If the hub comes with a 2 amp plug then whatever u plug in there MUST be under 2 amps in total. HDs have a "spin-up" power requirement which u should note.

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have noticed that several powered USB hubs still do not charge my iPad (2).

4. newdeal macrumors 68020

The issue is that the hubs dont output enough power to charge an ipad or a phone, some have ports that will provide power and then other ports that will not. I have a USB 3.0 hub, it can charge some things from some ports (it is a toshiba dynadock) and it provides gigabit ethernet as well as video outputs

5. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

As newdeal posted, many of the USB things you mentioned are now wireless. I have some disagreements with things like mouses (There aren't many Bluetooth ones).
    But most things, even USB external storage can be avoided and you can use Thunderbolt or just NAS instead. My two USB ports are used for the wirless mouse receiver (when I use one) and a USB Thumb drive

6. spin360 thread starter macrumors member

What are you guys using for Thunderbolt? I haven't found any that are reasonably priced...

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68030

Boyd01

I got one of these at Best Buy on clearance for $130.

http://www.seagate.com/external-har...backup-plus-desk-mac-thunderbolt/?sku=STAE129

It works with their backup plus desktop drives, which are pretty inexpensive. The thunderbolt dock, a 3TB drive and a cable came to about $300 total. I can now add additional drives for about $100-$150 depending on capacity.

Seagate doesn't give rotational speed specs for these drives, but Best Buy claimed the 3TB model was 7200 RPM and it does seem really fast. I also got a 2TB drive to use with time machine and it seems a bit slower, but still not too shabby.

I am using it with a miniDisplayPort adaptor connected to a DVI Apple Cinema Display plugged into the Thunderbolt pass-through port and it works fine.

8. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

Having some trouble finding Bluetooth mouses and keyboards. Full sizes don't seem to exist in large and inexpensive numbers.

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Boyd,
    Can I use this with my MBA and my 27" ACD? Obviously, I only have the one Thunderbolt port on the MBA with which I currently use as the miniDisplay pass through to the ACD. So, with this Seagate dock, I'd connect the MBA's Thunderbolt port to the Seagate dock, then connect the ACD's miniDisplay cable to the Seagate dock's other Thunderbolt port? :confused:

10. Boyd01 macrumors 68030

Boyd01

I can't give a definitive answer, since I don't have a 27" ACD. All I can say is that it works with my 23" ACD. The 23" ACD has a DVI-D connector, so I use a DVI > MiniDisplayport adapter and plug that into the Seagate dock. It worked on both a 2011 13" MBA and 2013 11" MBA.

My guess is that you will have to try this yourself to be sure, since I didn't know if it would work with my monitor until I tried. If you purchase from a bricks and mortar store like Best Buy, it's easy to return if it doesn't work.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

- mouse Bluetooth
    - printer WiFi
    - keyboard Bluetooth (or wired Apple keyboard with hub for the mouse)
    - external HD NAS
    - phone Wall wart
    - tablet Wall wart

12. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Thanks for the info.

13. No-Me macrumors 6502a

Most hubs are super ugly, but since I use it on my desk I want to have something that looks good too. I know that there are some nice looking USB2 hubs, but I'm looking for a USB3 version, anyone has a suggestion?