usb hub??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sr5878, Aug 2, 2007.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

hey everyone

i have a sr mbp... it's awesome except for the 2 usb ports.... who puts 2 usb ports on a professional laptop?

i have the following devices:
    wireless microsoft intellimouse
    nikon p4 camera
    canon mp460 printer
    wd mybook premium 320gb
    ipod (dock)
    logitech wireless music transmitter

i obviously can't keep them all plugged in at once, and it's a pain unplugging the mouse and usb transmitter (the two most used ones) to plug in my hard drive for backup, my camera, ipod, etc. i have a crappy bus-powered 4 port dongle, but it definitely can't support 4 devices at once. the transmitter wigs out, and the mouse gets jumpy with anything else plgged in. i've heard that powered usb hubs are a lot better, so i'm interested in this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111402

(or this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817201603
    but i would prefer the 7 ports, and i trust dlink)

will it be enough to power these devices? i like to keep the port on the right side of the mbp free because it gets in the way of my hand/mouse, but if it's still better to keep the hard drive on it's own circuit i guess i can bite the bullet.

thanks for your input. i love this forum!

2. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

I'd go with the D-link, although you should read through their reviews to see if anyone has had trouble having seven USB devices plugged in. Sometimes you get a lemon. I'm considering getting the exact same D-link drive.

3. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Here is a thread that I started a couple days ago asking for USB Hub suggestions.

Hope it helps.

4. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

The D-Link seems to be popular and well-liked here on the net, and also happens to be the one I am choosing.

5. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sweet... it seems like a lot of other people like this one. hubs arent a big deal and this one seems well-liked, so i'm gonna go ahead and order. comes out to around 22 on amazon with 1 day shipping (mmm, 1.99 for 1 day rush shipping with amazon prime trial... can't say no :D )

6. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well it just arrived... it looks really nice (though i suspect the 8 bright green LEDs will get annoying fast...) and so far works like a charm. i kind of feel bad plugging 5 devices into 'one' usb port, but i guess they all take external power now, so it's all good. i have:

wd 320gb mybook
    ms intellimouse
    canon mp460 printer
    logitech usb wireless music transmitter

all plugged in... i HAD my ipod plugged in but it started wigging out... it's such a piece of ****. once i get my 6th gen (or 5th gen for half off :D if the new 6th gen is anything like the rumors... square? yuck.)

thanks for your help and reassurance, guys. this hub passes the test.

7. polycat33 macrumors 6502

Toootally off topic, but Amazon Prime Trial gets you overnight for $1.99? It's $3.99 for me I just started the trial. However, I happen to live real close to a shipping center so free 2day gets here overnight. Is it really $1.99 or is that a typo?

8. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yep... i got the hub shipped overnight from kentucky to connecticut for $1.99.

2 day was free, but since it was thursday and amazon uses ups, it wouldnt have shipped on saturday (like fedex) but on monday. **** that.

:D

honestly the hub is great... the cable is nice and long, so i can run the thing off of my desk. theres no more cables running all over the place.. i love it.