Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
so today i went to my local bestbuy
i purchased 7port usb hub and some other awesome stuff.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10074481&catid=20388

i get home and plug in my 7port high-speed ac powered hub
about 40 minutes in i get a message on my mac telling me that a usb hub exceeded a power limit or something. i closed it and unplugged the usb hub and plugged it in again.
an hour later i got the message again so i unplugged everything and put my keyboard and mouse back into my 3 imac ports only to find that my keyboard didnt work.
i tried my keyboard in every slot and even in my macbook and it dosent work.
i believe that the port short circuited my imac keyboard.
what should i do???

should i take the hub and my keyboard to bestbuy and tell them they have to replace both???

im confused about what to do because its an apple keyboard.???
please helllp??????

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
In the pic, I see a slot for an AC adapter.

Every USB device drains some current, and the USB bus on your computer has a maximum limit. (don't remember exactly, 500ma? ) Anyhow, each additional device drawing more current - it sounds like you're maxing out your bus.

Plug in the AC adapter, and flip a "powered" switch (if there is one on the unit).

If you're feeding it juice, and it STILL over-draws your USB - it may be defective.

If you need a hub that is "parasitic" powered, pick up a smaller one with fewer ports.

Also charge "current hogs" (iphone, ipod, some rechargeable mice, ect...) using an adapter for them, rather than your USB bus.

If you've over-limited your bus - SHUT DOWN your computer (don't "restart") let it cool off for a couple of minutes, and reboot. It *should* be fine, as most USB hubs (especially in computers) have over-current and short circuit protection built in. Nothing is 100% in life, obviously.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
so today i went to my local bestbuy
i purchased 7port usb hub and some other awesome stuff.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10074481&catid=20388

i get home and plug in my 7port high-speed ac powered hub
about 40 minutes in i get a message on my mac telling me that a usb hub exceeded a power limit or something. i closed it and unplugged the usb hub and plugged it in again.
an hour later i got the message again so i unplugged everything and put my keyboard and mouse back into my 3 imac ports only to find that my keyboard didnt work.
i tried my keyboard in every slot and even in my macbook and it dosent work.
i believe that the port short circuited my imac keyboard.
what should i do???

should i take the hub and my keyboard to bestbuy and tell them they have to replace both???

im confused about what to do because its an apple keyboard.???
please helllp??????

Always nice to meet another brendan.

For kicks, try restarting the iMac with the keyboard plugged straight into the iMac.

EDIT: I see you tried it in your Macbook to no avail. I would probably blame the adapter, as it is powered, and may have damaged your keyboard. Call Belkin now, and go to BestBuy in the morning if its not resolved to your satisfaction.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
nice to meet you brendan:D
ya i think the fist poster missed the part where i tryed my keyboard in everything, tested by trying to enable caps, aa\nd it never worked.

i am hopefually going to bestbuy tonight to raise some wonderful holiday bs

thanks guys

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
heres the conclusion

today i went to bestbuy and told the guy what happened. he didnt believe me so he went and talked to his manager. his manager went and talked to his manager. he can back and said he need to test the usb hun. he came back with a new keyboard telling me i was right, and that the hub had just fried the computer they were testing it on !!!!!!
hahah

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.