Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmyKnight12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Here
The only drawback to my MBP is the lack of USB ports. I am in the market for a hub and am wondering if this one from Logitech is good.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/notebook_products/usb_hubs/devices/3048&cl=us,en

Reading the fine print describes that "AC adaptor not included, but may be required for use of high-power USB devices such as portable hard drives.". I am wondering without the ten dollar AC adapter, would it be able to handle objects connected to it like my laser mouse, ipod charger, camera and tv tuner?

I am only looking at this one because it's from Logitech (a great company) and Amazon.com offers a $15 rebate on it.

If any of you have USB hubs, I'd appreciate your suggestions or comments. Thanks as always. :apple:

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
IMO, USB is such a ubiquitous technology that you really don't need to buy a brand-name. Any $20 hub will work fine.

ArmyKnight12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Here
Yeah, I agree. But I'm getting the best of both worlds. With the Amazon rebate, the hub comes to 15 bucks (originally 30). I think thats a pretty good deal considering.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
I bought the cheapest USB hub I could find on eBay, and that came with a AC power supply which I don't use.

I have my printer, camera, iPod, Bluetooth dongle and flash drives all plugged in at the same time with no problem. Incidentally, the iPod is meant to plug into a high power USB slot but I've never had any problem running it through the unpowered hub, but that's off of my G3 iMac (however my iPod doesn't like old iMac keyboard hubs because they are USB 1.3 and low power.)

-Fuzzy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.