Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HaruAoki

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Australia
Hello,

I was looking at getting a USD hub for my iMac to have some more USB slots and I was going to plug up some external hard drives (witch will be used to store media and other things)

I was wondering if it safe to use USB hubs / and or do they have any issue or kill the devise plug up to it?

Thank you for your time and I hope you have a great day.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
There safe and your iMac ports will power off if they detect an issue. If your plugging drives in remember to use a powered hub!

HaruAoki

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Australia
There safe and your iMac ports will power off if they detect an issue. If your plugging drives in remember to use a powered hub!

What do you mean by "powered hub" do you mean one with a power cord that plugs into a power socket?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
What do you mean by "powered hub" do you mean one with a power cord that plugs into a power socket?
Yes. It can power the ports independently without having to rely on the single port on your iMac.

If your external hard drives have their own power supplies, it doesn't really matter.

HaruAoki

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Australia
Yes. It can power the ports independently without having to rely on the single port on your iMac.

If your external hard drives have their own power supplies, it doesn't really matter.

Oh okay, thanks for the reply the external hard drives I will be using will have there own power supply.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I'd go on eBay and get a cheap hub that's powered. I got this cheap, no-name, 10-port USB hub (just a plain stick--no B.S. design or odd shape) for around $7. It works like a charm!

alfista

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
I have had a $15 Sabrent/Arkview hub kill my MacBook air, and I verified that it did.

Purchased it from Amazon and did some nice cable management only to come back an hour later and find my MBA dead. Only the hub was introduced in this process.

I paid apple $260 for depot repair, and was informed it had a 90 day warranty, so I plugged it back in. An hour later, dead, and back to apple for the repair. I had plugged in a raspberry pi prior and it did suffer any ill effects.

Beyond the damage, good hubs do perform better.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkview-Speed...?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I have had a $15 Sabrent/Arkview hub kill my MacBook air, and I verified that it did.

Purchased it from Amazon and did some nice cable management only to come back an hour later and find my MBA dead. Only the hub was introduced in this process.

I paid apple $260 for depot repair, and was informed it had a 90 day warranty, so I plugged it back in. An hour later, dead, and back to apple for the repair. I had plugged in a raspberry pi prior and it did suffer any ill effects.

Beyond the damage, good hubs do perform better.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkview-Speed...?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

Wow, that's really scary. I wonder what caused it. Macs have short protection built in, so I wonder how the hub caused damage.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Does it matter on how many ports it haves on it, like is there a max your allowed?
I threw away all my powered USB hubs since I found that USB sticks AND USB drives
became corrupt after reading and writing at the same time on different devices.
Someone in an Apple store told me that it's a driver problem/limitation.
So, be very careful.
;JOOP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.