USB Hubs driving me bonkers - recommendations anyone?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by abif, Apr 3, 2016.

1. abif macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Does anyone have some buying advice on a really solid USB hub (3 or 2, yes reconsidering 2 now).

I've got a Macbook Pro Retina. I'm plugging a Anker USB 3 hub into it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-AH430...UTF8&qid=1459749349&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+hub+3

The Anker then connects an external HD as well as an external SSD and some other bits. It also connects to another USB Hub 3. Now that second USB hub is almost unusable. If I want to use the external mouse, I need to plug an extra USB Hub 2 into the second 3 so that I will move at all.

My drives frequently disappear, the mouse is super erratic, doesn't roll smoothly and my WiFi drops.

Now, this is the second Anker I've got. Had the first exchanged cause thought it was a fault in the device.

Are all USB 3s going to f*** up the device? Should I try a USB 2 instead? Perhaps powered?

Does anyone have a similar configuration that works or some good product recommendations?

Cheerio

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

3. abif thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome cheers. I think I need something powered at this stage.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote:
    "The Anker then connects an external HD as well as an external SSD and some other bits. It also connects to another USB Hub 3."

I'm thinking that this is manifesting some kind of conflict between the two hubs, probably has something to do with their controller chips.

Solution:
    Use -ONE- hub with more ports.
    or
    Connect Second hub directly to MacBook. Although if there's a real conflict between the two hubs, even this may not work.

Hmmm... reading through posts above that either one (or both) of your hubs isn't powered -- could also be a "usb power problem". Devices are dropping off (or Mac is rejecting them) because the USB port on the MacBook can't supply enough bus power on its own.

So -- get a POWERED hub...!

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Read this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204377

You have up to 900ma available on a single USB3 port. Just the ext-HDD and ext-SSD together likely use most of that just by themselves. You either need to be using multiple ports from the MBP and spread out the usage, or switch to a powered hub to ensure adequate power for all your devices.

6. abif thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the links and info guys. I reckon powered is the way to go, but even for the above recommendation, there's a reviewer on Amazon who states the same erratic issues with his mouse as well as Macbook running Maverick :-(

Aren't there any working USBs? Btw doesn't help that I only really have one port, since the other has to be used by a DAW and cannot be plugged into the externals as that won't power it on

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Again, if you don't resolve the "bus power issue", you're going to get nowhere...