USB Hubs Not Reliable

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by daniscool99, Jul 30, 2010.

1. daniscool99 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook with 2 USB ports. Both work perfectly. I always have a USB port occupied using my studio monitors. I'd like to plug in my USB mouse and USB keyboard as well. My first USB hub I just found lying around and was bus powered. It worked about the same as my second one. My second is bus powered, but has the ability to plug in the wall as well.

When I plug my mouse or keyboard directly into the computer it works perfectly, but whenever I plug them both into either of the USB hubs, it takes a few tries of plugging in and waiting or trying different ports until they finally are recognized. Furthermore once they are connected and working, if I insert something new like a USB flash drive, quite often the mouse and keyboard both stop working and it takes a little bit of time and a hassle to get them working again.

I've tried the hubs in both ports and the same problem exists. I have yet to try them in someone else's computer. I feel like the hubs works fine considering the same same problem exists with both hubs.

Thanks,

Danny

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd suggest buying a powered USB hub, as then you'll be able to plug in any device without worry. Although as for your current hubs, you do get what you pay for. The cheaper the hub the more likely you are to have problems with it.

3. daniscool99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well mine comes with a wall adapter to plug it in. What's the difference between that and a powered hub?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If it has an adapter to plug into the wall, then it is a powered hub. Hmm, that's odd. Then I'd try using the hub on a different computer to see if the same problems persist.

5. ramses2005 macrumors member

recommend

i recommend that you buy a generic usb hub thats not sooo expensive and that you use 1 port of your mac to get other 4 ports!

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

this is exactly what a hub is. The OP probably was already using something similar to what you are describing.