Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djcyph

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
need more hubs for production and dj use...

right now i need to plug in Serato, an external HD (which is usb powered), Denon HC4500, and M-Audio Fast Track Pro when I record or use ableton...I plan on adding an APC40 when i get around to it

Rane recommends plugging Serato directly into the computer and no self-powered hub so i plan on doing that....will everything else run smoothly on a self-powered usb hub?
or do i need to get a powered one for everything to run nice?

if not i guess can get over it...just wondering if possible

also what Hubs u guys using?

redbotsoftware

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
I use a DLink powered usb hub. I threw out the non-powered ones. I didn't like having to plug in a device and it didn't work right away.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the external drive, or anything else that is going to rely on power from USB will definitely need a powered hub, or have to be directly connected to the machine; the hubs that are not independently powered just don't have enough juice to power another device and handle more connections too.

AimeeLarry

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
thanks guys....any recommendations on which one to get?
Well. You just need a self-powered hub that takes its power from an external power supply unit not from the computer. So it can provide full power (up to 500mA) to every port. This AC Powered USB 2.0 High Speed self-powered hub meets your need.

BTY: There are two type of powered hub, one is a bus-powered hub and the other is a self-powered hub.
A bus-powered hub is a hub that draws all its power from the host computer's USB interface. It does not need a separate power connection. However, many devices require more power than this method can provide, and will not work in this type of hub.
In contrast a self-powered hub is one that takes its power from an external power supply unit and can therefore provide full power (up to 500mA) to every port. Many hubs can operate as either bus powered or self powered hubs.

And when you want to find a seft-powered hub through google, you should search with this phrase " AC powered hub ", because if you search"self-powered hub", it usually show you the bus-powered hub and this is not your need.
Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.