USB Hubs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cameraman67, Aug 21, 2010.

1. cameraman67 macrumors newbie

Aug 21, 2010
    Hi There,

I have tried to use USB hubs with my G5 but seem to loose connectivity and cannot access my printers or scanner. Does anyone know a specific process of linking them up?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    Try not to use more than 1 hub per port on your computer; otherwise I don't think it matters.

Some computer also have finicky USB ports (my MBP certainly does!).
  3. SmilesLots macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2010
    SW Virginia
    I've had really bad problems with the power supplies on the cheapo chinese hubs - leakage current. It crashed my Mac Pro whenever I tried to plug it in. I tested the amount of leakage - 46 vac @ 18 microamps. So be careful, and like the other poster suggested, use only one hub. MHO
  4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Are you using a powered or passive hub? Just asking b/c you don't state which kind you are using.

If you are using a powered hub then it could be a bad power supply or USB cable (to computer from hub). Also try plugging the hub into a different port. Sometimes it's just a ghost in the machine messing things up.

If you are not using a powered hub, that is your problem. Passive hubs are only useful for low powered perifs. like keyboards, mice, SD card readers. You need a powered hub (one that comes w/ a power supply) for nearly everything else.

Also some hubs have passive/power switches so make sure the hub is switched to power. Even if you have it plugged in to a wall outlet if the switch on the hub is set to passive, it's powering itself from the computer.
  5. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2008
    I have one of these and it shoves in nicely under the curved handles near the back of the comptuer :) I put some felt on the bottom so its in by a touch of force :)
  6. dazed macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2007
    ive got that dlink hub for my mac mini. sometimes the keyboard doesnt work but unplugging and replugging in solves it.

not sure if its a keyboard or hub problem. anyone else experience this?

its no biggie, just slightly annoying :)
  7. jedijoe macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    I've used this 7-port rosewill USB hub

with G5 tower (dual-core 2.3GHz model), 1st gen Macbook Pro, June 2009 MBP without any issues.. I am still awaiting delivery of my new 2010 MacPro, but its seems like a quality HUB at a easy price, so I suspect it will work well with the new MacPro as well.

I have an EPSON R1900 and Canon 5600F, iPhone, Wacom Tablet hooked up to it 24/7 and never had a single issue with disconnects. Plus it seems to play nice with putting the computer to sleep and not randomly waking the computer due to USB events (like I had with previous cheap-o hubs)
  8. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2008
    I have to do that with my X keys all the time every time actually !!! HMM maybe move it to the front ports to try see if it happens ? I dont reboot to often so no biggy but yeah it happens I guess since X keys are a keyboard of sorts :)
  9. xgman macrumors 601

Aug 6, 2007

Happened on my 2008 and now my 2010. Even plugged directly in to the mac. The mac needs more direct usb plugs plain and simple. Only 5 is ridiculous.