USB-induced freezes on MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MukRakr, Mar 14, 2008.

1. MukRakr macrumors newbie

I've got a weird problem that I haven't seen anywhere else, and I'm hoping you guys can help me with some ideas.

I bought a 2008 MacPro dual-2.8 ghz 8-core tower last month and love it to death except for one frustrating problem: The USB on the tower is giving me hell. I can connect the keyboard to it, no problem. I can connect peripherals (an iPod, compact flash card reader, etc.) through the keyboard port, no problem. But if I connect any type of removable media to the ports on the tower itself and attempt to write to them, my computer will seize up. But if I remove the media without ejecting it (which I cannot do, because the system has seized up) then everything returns to normal after giving me a few error messages, such as the typical "don't ever do that again" signs and one with the iPod that says it could not write to the iPod.

I can pull files off the iPod and compact flash card without a problem. It's when I try to write to either one (such as syncing the iPod) that the problem emerges. I have reinstalled the system software twice (once through an archive and install; the second a full hard-drive wipe and reinstall). I've run the hardware test (the extended version) and it didn't find a problem. And the wife is coming down on my ass about it because, as you might imagine, if she can't sync her iPod then everything else the computer does well is irrelevant and it's merely a $2,700 end table.

I'm normally able to figure these problems out on my own. But this really has me stumped. Has anybody else run into this problem? Does anybody have any ideas for fixing it short of calling Apple (which is my next step)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Whoa you mean such as a simple usb thumbdrive on the usb port to transfer a file and the system locks up? If thats the case, I would exchange the mac pro as I dont have that problem. But I dont own an ipod so I cant tell you about if I have that problem as well, but I do have an iphone and it syncs just fine.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'd say call Apple, but USB problems I've had forever on various Intel Macs since Tiger. It's usually one of the first causes of a GSOD on any of my Macs, provided they aren't (as they are often) defective in some other way.

4. MukRakr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help

Thanks guys. Yes, a simple usb thumbdrive has brought the system to its knees. At first I thought it was just a bug in iTunes. But after experiencing the same problem with multiple types of removable drives I started figuring it was a hardware issue. I just wanted some confirmation before calling Apple. Thanks for the help.