USB install in unattended mode?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by dmylrea, Aug 19, 2014.

1. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

I am reloading Mavericks (clean) onto a Macbook Pro that I have installed a new SSD. I put my Mavericks USB stick in, hold down OPTION and choose it. It loads, and then immediately starts installing, without any intro or welcome screen. Unfortunately, it starts installing to my USB flash disk. Ultimately it errors.

I tried it with a 10.8 USB installer, and I get something similar except it immediately says there is an error and it cannot install OSX. At this point, I have the menus at the top and can choose Disk Utility, where I see my SSD and can (and do) partition it correctly. I reboot on Mavericks USB again and it immediately starts installing to the USB. No choice or install wizard.

Why??

2. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I like to know as well with a new SSD drive arriving soon...

With my other system, I

1. Shut down the computer
    2. Insert USB thumb drive with Mavericks
    3. Press down on "Option key"
    4. Start system
    5. Wait for, and click on Mavericks USB drive icon that takes me to "Disk Utility" where I can format the new drive, and install Mavericks.

This method you mention does not allow you to even get the chance to click on the USB drive. Hope you get a reply soon. Good luck

3. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68020

dmylrea

Correct. No choices, basically just starts right into installing Mavericks (or ML, but with ML it aborts right away with an error). Very weird since I have used both of these USB installers previously without issue.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

Take the USB stick OUT and then boot the machine. It'll boot over the internet and you can install Mavericks onto the new SSD.

5. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68020

dmylrea

I know both my 10.8 and 10.9 UBS installers aren't bad, but I re-made the 10.9 one again using Diskmaker X and it now boots fine.

So I can't explain what happened, but can say I'm good now.

Thanks all.

6. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

7. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68020

dmylrea

I thought it was funny that I read another thread about someone WANTING unattended install from a USB installer, and here I have it, but want to get rid of it!

All is good.