USB internet connection- no wifi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rose new york, Jan 14, 2010.

1. rose new york macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Going to the South Pole, No wifi period. We need to update this very particular app one a month "via wifi". So, unless someone at the app software company reworks their app <yeah right> we are in a pickle. I've seen the alk2blog forum where he does it with an iphone but he didn't have a solution for the ipod.
    So, did anyone figure a way to connect the ipod with a wire to a wired pc for internet connection?
    We are pretty good with following directions although admittedly not mad computer science geniuses! :)
    Thanx,
    Rose
    The app company tells us to go to starbucks- home many penguins drink coffee???

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

While trying to NOT sound totally ignorant/stupid - is it at all possible to share the internet connection on a computer for a brief time?

Create a temporary wifi to do the app at close range?

OR, is this a pole thing and i'm putting a "scientific reason foot in my mouth"? LOL!! Don't be afraid to tell me that either.

I have not heard of a way to get around it - the jailbreakers might have something for ya.

And gee, i'm guessing the penguins might like a starbucks down there - tell the app developer you are SURE that franchise location is available for him to invest in :D

Safe travels!!!

3. rose new york thread starter macrumors newbie

wifi is "too loud"

Hmmm Penguins on caffeine- that's like a Happy Feet sequel!

As for a temp wifi connection- no. Any wifi at all will be picked up by other 'stuff' running and throw off their listening data. So all data to/from ipod must be wired. <sigh>

I've never done a jailbreak thing but if there is a work around there- I'd do it!
    Learning all sorts of stuff by the second,
    Rose

4. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

This got done to death on a long running (and still active) thread here.

5. observer macrumors member

What kind of "updating" is the app doing? Can you connect to iTunes with a wired computer, and download a new copy of the app which contains the update? Then make a wired connection to iTunes with the iPod.

I assume this is a paid app, and it sounds like you've already talked to the company so there must be some reason it won't work.

6. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I was just going to ask this. It seems odd that an app would only be able to update via wifi.

7. zacksba Guest

I do not think its odd. I have an app that has scheduling content that is updated via wifi only and not itunes. The app itself (not the content) is updated via itunes or the app store on the touch. I am wondering if the OP's contents is what actually gets updated regularly more than the app mechanics itself? Or maybe the app is designed where the content/mechanics are one and the same which would require the itunes update , which if that is the case could be connected via the USB cable to itunes.

8. rose new york thread starter macrumors newbie

Apps

Well, the app is Epocrates, not the free ver but the paid subscription. It's a medical app that updates contents, not the program itself. That's what *they* told me this morning anyway. I'd be willing to try stuff out but once you get deployed you are there for 9 months, no wi-fi, no Best Buy. I've looked at other apps that cover the same information and they are all telling me that they need to update over wifi.
    I just got massively hopeful with the wifi-over-usb they managed with an iphone, and always think someone out there is a magicican ;) and people figure out new stuff everyday as things change/update and needs arise.
    I found this today:
    http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202656

seems easy enough...has anyone had good/bad experience with it?
    Rose

9. observer macrumors member

The procedure you're looking at has "turn on wifi on the ipod" down a ways in -- this isn't what you want, I think.

Does Epocrates come from the app store needing to be updated? If they sell a version that's complete, you could try deleting the app from both the ipod and from the desktop that's connected to the internet, and then re-downloading the app from the app store. I **think** that's allowed -- the app store knows you've purchased it. You might ask the company if that would work. They should be trying to help you out here.

10. Moocher macrumors regular

Good suggestion.

Mooch

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Rose - just an FYI - my 13yo thinks that the guy is an idiot! LOL!!

Somehow at dinner the conversation turned to North Pole/South Pole/Polar Bears/Penguins and my friend that lives in Alaska.... i started laughing and told them about you needing to find wifi at the SP - she joked, "do they have a McD's?", I laughed and told her about the Starbucks suggestion! She couldn't believe he could have actually thought before he suggested that (she further feels he should lose his job because he's not smart enough to do it ;)).

We got a laugh about it - but in all seriousness, i still am hoping you find a working solution.

12. dawnraid macrumors regular

Hey, just buy a usb wireless network card (relatively inexpensive) plug it into the pc, set up an ad-hoc wireless network connection whilst enabling internet connection sharing between your wired network interface and your wireless one. You will now have a short range wifi network that you can use to update your app. Have fun in Antarctica its an amazing place.

13. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

You are thinking to hard.
    If i have an understanding you have a wired computer with internet. why don't you just sync the ipod with that computer and if its not allowed bring a laptop and have it sync with it.
    This is the only logical way giving the limitations you have noted.

14. npemtiv macrumors newbie

So I know this post is old, but I wasn't sure if the OP ever got this working. I had the same problem with Epocrates and used the above method perfectly to update the clinical content within Epocrates. On a Mac is was very easy and took only five minutes:

1) First enter System Preferences -> Sharing -> Enable Internet Sharing
    2) Tell it to Share connection from Ethernet
    3) To Computers Using Airport

Now connect to the Airport Wifi on your ipod (The wifi should be your computer's name unless you specifically changed it). Worked first try for me.